Civil 3D Toolkit Feedback thread

1.0.13 is out with a few improvements and new nodes for you to test, thanks everyone for the inputs and feedback so far.

2 Likes

Terrific!

2 Likes

Great! Thanks a lot Paolo.

2 Likes

Very cool @Paolo_Emilio_Serra1, this can be very helpful to connect System Engineering codes and validations. Great!

2 Likes

Hello Paolo,

I’m starting to test the new nodes, i think an input is missing in the nodes :

• AlignmentExtensions.CurveAtIncrement
  • AlignmentExtensions.CurveByCurvature
  • AlignmentExtensions.Equation

1 Like

Hi, the idea behind these nodes is to return different station types, I used the same naming you find internally in the Civil 3D API.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates Paolo!

I was testing the new viewport nodes and it seems to work well for rectangular viewports, but not polygonal viewports? The Viewport.Boundary node will draw the polycurve correctly, but nodes like the center point and coordinate system don’t appear to be correct.

2 Likes

Thank you Paolo. Is it possible to set also the rim elevation to a reference surface or to capture the elevation of a surface at the structure location and update its rim elevation?

2 Likes

Thank’s a lot Paolo!
I’ll check it and give you feedback.

2 Likes

Thanks Paolo. This is all great stuff!

I was working with the cogo point and point group nodes some more today and I think it would be helpful to have a cogo point node to get the primary point group property of the cogo point.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=9acfd36e-6caf-b56c-f13f-750cff7a1b34

Then, we could do something like this…

Select one cogo point to get all of the cogo points that have the same primary point group as the selected cogo point.

2 Likes

Here are some proposed improvements for the MText.StationFormatting node:

• I don’t think the MText.StationFormatting node should be listed in the MText subcategory under the AutoCAD Category. A better place for it would be in the AlignmentExtensions subcategory under the Civil 3D category.

• The node name is misleading because it doesn’t actually produce “MText” directly.

• The resulting string is currently the raw station. In most cases, we want the station with equations. I think it is okay to leave this node as raw station, but then add another duplicate node that uses the GetStationStringWithEquations API method to show the station with equations. Note that using this methods will convert to station formatting automatically.
    http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=20c7503d-e650-629d-9527-733f9ddcf38d

1 Like

Hi Paolo,

The new nodes for getting the instantaneous radius and subentities are great. I think it would be usefull to get acces to an additional information for the curves : are we turning to the right or to the left ? Maybe it could be added to the AlignmentExtensions.GetInstantaneousRadiusAtStation as a boolean input : by default we get the absolute value and for a “true” input we get a positive value for a right turn and a negative value for a left turn?

1 Like

I think there is a little problem with the AlignmentExtensions.GetInstantaneousRadiusAtStation :
for some curves i’ve got a lot of digits after the decimal point

1 Like

Those are exactly the same values stored in Civil 3D, you can round them afterwards

2 Likes

Hi Paolo

Any chance we could have a node which defines a block, including the ability to define the attributes on that block?

At the moment I have scripts which create a pile cap plus individual piles at a list of chainage/stations provided by the user. Ideally I want all those objects to appear in AutoCAD as a single block, rather than separate objects. If I can define what attributes I want to add to the block, that would be even better (although not as important because I could add a property set instead)

EDIT - It appears the BlockReferenceExtentions.ByObject might do this, but its not clear how I get a list of “objects” as the input. At the moment, my list of inputs is made up of Geometry.Solid and Geometry.Cylinder types, but I get an error “Warning: BlockReferenceExtensions.ByObject expects argument type(s) (Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes.Object), but was called with (Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry.Solid).”

1 Like

@jh_dempsey you can import an external drawing as a source to create a block reference.
So you should send your solids to an empty drawing in the origin, save the file and then load it as the input for creating the block definition.
Adding attributes automatically is not covered at the moment.

The node in the toolkit allows you to cast an object you somehow select to a BlockReference in Dynamo terms.

1 Like

I think for the moment ill stick with having the solids as being separate objects in AutoCAD.

My dynamo script is for placing gantry bases along a road. The script generates the geometry for each base, which is made up of the pile cap (dynamo cuboid), and between 1 and 4 piles (dynamo cylinders). The dimensions of all these objects are set by the user in an excel file which is being read in, so each gantry base could be different.

Your suggestion would mean having to manually update block definitions in an external file each time the geometry of gantry bases changes. Given there maybe 50 gantry bases being created, that’s a lot of manual work!

Civil Connection and Revit is a better solution for my problem, but I wanted to see if it could be done purely within Civil 3D

1 Like

@jh_dempsey we can discuss this in a separate thread, what is missing could be added to the Civil 3D Toolkit once it is clear what is the best way forward to enable what you are trying to do.

1 Like

New Thread Created:

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/civil-3d-toolkit-request-for-define-block-node-discussion/46817/2

3 Likes

WIP

2 Likes