Changing the appearance of linked elements by Element ID

Hello Revit community,
Is anyone aware of a way to change the appearances of linked model’s elements (by Element ID)? I’m currently running into a couple issues. The first and primary being that the when I go to select elements by ID, the result are null values. I’ve tried to copy the linked elements to the active view and go from there, but that doesn’t appear to work either.
The second issue is caused by the first, in the sense that if I try to assign a linked element to a custom workset, the the object reference ends up being set to the integer value of the element ID, not the ID itself.

Is this an issue with Revit’s API or does anyone know if any packages that can actually extract an element from linked elements?

As far as I’m aware, this isn’t possible.
A general rule of thumb is if you can’t do something via the Revit interface, you can’t do it programmatically.

2 Likes

You can’t make changes to the linked elements without having the model actually open. So setting the worksets of a linked element isn’t possible because you need that document open and running the active Transaction on it, not the current document.

So are there any techniques to change the appearance of specific linked elements? I’m trying to indicate (and potentially manipulate) elements that are clashing.

You should still be able to apply graphic overrides per view since this is possible through native Revit functions. Why change the appearance of linked elements though? Wouldn’t it make more sense to highlight the local elements in the clash since those are the elements that could be fixed?

How about opening the Linked model, exporting a relevant Shared Parameter in that file, Import that parameter as a Project Parameter, set to the same Categories, and create a Filter?
I’ve done it before on an imported IFC file using the IfcName as Shared Parameter, i wanted concrete to be gray on the IFC file.
Not on a Revit file though, only as “ïn between”, but it worked.
mind racing here
Create ElementSet from Linked Model would be another option (extensional storage in mind)…can that be done??