Cannot copy Sheets which having Drafting views and Legends

I want to copy sheets which include drafting views and legends from linkinstance. As you can see in below pic list found null. But if we use same node can copy legend & it works.
Is there any solution, node or any python node whether it will copy sheets along with legend and drafting view.

I would guess that this is a Revit restriction- even though you can see a lot of the information through the API, you are limited in the UI to what you can copy from the linked file.

However, through the UI, you are able to cross-doc copy/paste if you have both files open.
I would suggest trying to do the following through Dynamo:

• Temporarily unload the link (as Revit will restrict you opening a linked file in the same session)
  • Open the linked file
  • Select the desired sheets/views to copy
  • Paste them into the “host” file.
  • Close the linked file
  • Reload the link

Also, there is a fairly lengthy discussion on the subject here (they start off talking about floor plans, but there is discussion about copying detail sheets further down):

Thank you @Joe.Charpentier I tried your solution it would not be work for drafting view as it may not be copy.
I tried solution from link of topic you mentioned bt it show following issue.

is there another solution on which I can copy sheets, drafting view along with legends.

there is a plug in that lets you do costing 10 dollars. TransferSingle | Revit | Autodesk App Store

if you want to solve it yourself via dynamo its more work then you might think. first you need to copy the sheets seperatly (basaicly copy empety sheet) drafiting view you can transfer withouta problem the legend though you need to copy the legend view and after that copy everything inside the legend on to your new legend the entire process is defnitly going to take you more then an hour and the plug in i posted will probeably cost less then the time you spend making it. i had a really buggy variant going a couple of years ago before i changed to the plug in. checked through my storage but i have removed it though.

That 10 dollars cannot buy you the valuable experience you gain from building such a tool.

2 Likes

Hi @pranavnagure2k17 here is a very rough example there probably could work for legends and drafting view from link…

1 Like

absolutly true but sometimes you simply do not have the time.

Thank you @sovitek.Your script will work but I have issue that I am unable to copy some Drafting views.

Hi are you sure linkdoc node give a revit,application.document its what copy drafting node expect, you can try convert with some of thes db convert nodes from rhythm…

Actually it is db

1 Like

you will need convert your autodesk.revit.db.document to revit.application.document

try here its just a very rough example just for test…

testback.dyn (40.7 KB)

ps which version are you in ?

1 Like

I am using Revit 2021. Dynamo version 2.6.1.8786.Script you provided I am unable to install required rhythm package

hmm not sure in 2021 i dont have 2021 and cant test…open mep package have a convert node as well not sure if it will work for 2021…

Actually if I tried for some drafting view I found issue attached below.

I cannot install open MEP package because it shows warning of windows defender. If that node contains any python script please share or If any alternative node please share. If any package which can be install through dynamo package manager please suggest.

I have tried on revit 2023 and dynamo version 2.13.1. but unable to install Rhythm package.

yes should work in 2023…try install the rhythm package trough package manager as it now have a new way to install…and for openmep just say run anaway

As I tried that package version does not exist. Any alternative python node available please share.

try install the latest

1 Like

If you’re getting errors that something can’t be copied then the issue isn’t your workflow. It’s obviously attempting to copy something that Revit doesn’t like. You need to figure out what isn’t being allowed. As was mentioned previously, there are certain things that cannot be copied from a model and must be recreated. This may be one of those cases.

Have you confirmed that your list only contains Drafting Views?
Have you confirmed that your Drafting Views only contain view specific elements?
Have you narrowed the error down to a specific view or set of views?

These are the things you’ll need to do for us to give you any additional guidance.