Can the Dynamo Planes be visualised bigger in Dynamo geometry preview?

Can the Dynamo Planes be visualised bigger in Dynamo geometry preview? I see like rectangles but very tiny in the preview, would like to make them bigger. I traced a 300mm side rectangle in each plane but I would consider this unnecessary task.

Hi open mep have a node called plane display or something, probably it could help

something that does not require a dynamo package? I am resolving this temporarily with python code tracing planes but I think this is stupid task should not happen, I mean the dynamo point,line,solid,surface looks correct in preview but I cannot see the planes if I do not zoom in too way much

Rectangle.ByWidthLength has an override which takes a plane which may work.

If you want something you call many times but don’t want to use a package you can leverage a design script definition as follows:

def DisplayPlane(plane: Plane, size: double)
{
	rectangle = Rectangle.ByWidthLength(plane, size,size);
	surface = Surface.ByPatch(rectangle);
	color = Color.ByARGB(100,200,200,200);
	display = GeometryColor.ByGeometryColor(surface,color);
	return display;
};

Put this in a code block, and then every subsequently placed code block can call the function using DisplayPlane(plane,1000); to generate the display of a translucent surface at the size you want. If you want more transparency or change the color just update the value in the definition and all displays will follow suit.

4 Likes

I am trying to make it work in ironpython2.7 code within a dynamo node. but I get this error

Warning: IronPythonEvaluator.EvaluateIronPythonScript operation failed. 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 216, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 75, in DisplayPlane
AttributeError: 'type' object has no attribute 'ByARGB'

Can’t debug code I can’t see. Note that the design script will out perform the Python here by a fair margin (no extra engine and VM to spin up) so not sure why you’re converting.

import clr
clr.AddReference('DSCoreNodes')
from DSCore import Color
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *
clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
import Autodesk
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

def DisplayPlane(plane, size):
    # Create a rectangle on the plane with the specified size
    coordinateSystem = plane  # If 'plane' is not directly usable, you might need to extract or convert it to a CoordinateSystem.
    rectangle = Rectangle.ByWidthLength(coordinateSystem, size, size)  # Adjusted order and usage.

# Create a surface from the rectangle
    surface = Surface.ByPatch(rectangle)
    # Define a color (using ARGB values)
    color = Color.ByARGB(100, 200, 200, 200)
    # Apply the color to the surface for display
    display = GeometryColor.ByGeometryColor(surface, color)
    return display

but error is this now:

Warning: IronPythonEvaluator.EvaluateIronPythonScript operation failed. 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 217, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 78, in DisplayPlane
NameError: global name 'GeometryColor' is not defined

Try and run it without the definition

it was missing just this clr.AddReference('GeometryColor') from Modifiers import GeometryColor so this works:

import clr
clr.AddReference('DSCoreNodes')
from DSCore import Color
clr.AddReference('GeometryColor')
from Modifiers import GeometryColor
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *
clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
import Autodesk
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

def DisplayPlane(plane, size):
    # Create a rectangle on the plane with the specified size
    coordinateSystem = plane  # If 'plane' is not directly usable, you might need to extract or convert it to a CoordinateSystem.
    rectangle = Rectangle.ByWidthLength(coordinateSystem, size, size)  # Adjusted order and usage.
    # Create a surface from the rectangle
    surface = Surface.ByPatch(rectangle)
    # Define a color (using ARGB values)
    color = Color.ByARGB(100, 200, 200, 200)
    # Apply the color to the surface for display
    display = GeometryColor.ByGeometryColor(surface, color)
    return display

but I tried it an example and some of the planes appear very far away from where I was expecting aligned in the lines displayed, not sure why, I suppose the script creates a rectangle in the origin point of the planes?

Yes - if you want them located somewhere else you’ll need to translate them from the plane origin to the desired location point.

1 Like

thanks I clearly see the dynamo plane with its normal vector and the rectangle displayed in color centered