Camber Feedback Thread

You bet!

Hi, Iā€™m trying to use Camber to make a list of layouts with their respective sheet numbers, but when I use ā€œExternal Block Referenceā€ and ā€œAttribute by Tagā€, the sheet numbers are not grabbed from the blocks in the order of layout. How would I get the correct order? Is there a way I can get the Block Reference info from each layout? There does not seem to be a node to do so.

Would this work for you? From there, you can get/set the attributes.

2 Likes

Wow! This is very helpful thank you!!
Edit: Layout to Block to Object is what the answer is, for other users

1 Like

Hello,
Not sure if this is an intended thing in camber or not, but it had me running though a loop for a bit.
If you give this script a run, youā€™ll notice that the parameter of the curve and the ratio of the label placement are the inverse of each other. The simple fix is to just inverse the parameter with a code block with x=1-y. Just figured I would share in case others get hung up on it as well.

Pipe Label Ratio troubleshooting 0.0.1.dyn (25.8 KB)

Thanks for sharing @clarsenCNDZF. Thatā€™s interestingā€¦Iā€™ll take a look when I can and try to identify why that might be the case.

Hello @mzjensen,

Trying to clean up some bugs and came across interesting behavior. It only seems to invert the ratio on ā€œArcā€ objects, not ā€œLineā€ objects. So a curved pipe will have an inversed ratio but a straight pipe will be fine. I hope that narrows it down.

Ah OK, I think I might know what is going on then. Can you check and see how it behaves when the arcs are different directions? My guess is that it will flip.

In AutoCAD (and Dynamo), arcs are always defined in a counterclockwise direction. So that means that the start and end points will swap depending on the angle of the arc. My guess is that for arc pipes, the ratio for the label is not dependent on the angle of the arc itself, but rather the start and end as defined by the pipe flow direction. But then for the Dynamo arc geometry, the start and end points will swap depending on its angle and youā€™ll see the inverse effect.

Hereā€™s an example. Two arcs with the same radius, same center, same length. The point is calculated at a parameter of 0.2 for both of them.

I want to erase some external layouts from a dwg drawing.
Apparently, with the nodes available in the Camber package it doesnā€™t work.
Is there another solution?
Thanks.

Removing a layout doesnā€™t follow the same process as deleting an object, so unfortunately that node is a dead end. Iā€™ll add it to the to-do list.

2 Likes

So I did the test this morning and am getting pretty consistent behavior where the ratio is acting inverse the parameter on a curve. The parameter here is set at 0.2. The arrow show the direction the pipe was drawn in, the tick is the parameter and the cross marker is the ratio.

Just did a test and this is the behavior that I get. On the right are pipes with pipe labels (the label style is just a block component). On the left are arc objects with blocks inserted at the curve parameter. Note that this is not dependent on the flow direction of the pipe. It is solely based on the defined start and end points.

pipe

2 Likes

Ah, my description was causing the confusion. With the script Iā€™m making Iā€™m not actually annotating a Arc object specifically. I am using the C3DToolkit to pull the pipe curve, which it describes as an Arc. The curve from Pipe.Curve is where I am calculating my parameters from.

What I was trying to highlight is that using the same values for a parameter between a line and a curve, it is only the curved pipe (arc geometry) that placing the label at the inverse of the pipe parameter. In the example itā€™s only the lines where the tick and the marker stay together. The tick* being the pipe label. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, this is the issue. My point is that if youā€™re using a parameter with the arc object, then it is not going to consistently match the behavior of creating a pipe label at the same ratio. Itā€™s because the direction of an arc (i.e. the start and end points) will flip, but pipe directions do not. So this isnā€™t a bug, it is the expected behavior.

1 Like

Hereā€™s another illustration. Like I said before, arcs are always defined counterclockwise. So with the first case (before I grip edit), the start point is at the right (X=10). After grip editing, the start point is now at the left (X=0). So the start/end points have no correlation to how the arc was drawn. That isnā€™t the case for pipes. They have a defined direction based on the start and end points that they were drawn with, and that doesnā€™t change. So the ratio for the label placement is always consistent as the ratio between the start and end points. When you work with an arc object, that ratio/parameter is not going to consistently match that behavior.

arc

1 Like

There will be a tough AU for you this year :wink:
Lots of questions and a lot of beers

3 Likes

Good afternoon!
Thank you for your great work.

I would be very grateful, and on behalf of the entire community, if you could implement data retrieval from the Open Street Map. Surface, roads and other objects.

The Arkance Systems Node Library has nodes for importing OSM files.

5 Likes

+1 :point_up:

Elk package also allows working with OSM files, if memory serves.

1 Like