BIM and visual programming survey

Hi Everyone,

I am a student in the U.K. and I am conducting research into BIM and visual programming.

I would be very grateful if you could complete my survey. According to survey monkey it should only take 15minutes.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WRSBGBT

Thank you! :slight_smile: And any feedback would be appreciated.

Please do post your findings and final thesis to the forum once time comes :slight_smile: we might all learn something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will do

With regards to the question example that you give, I think typically the answer would be large project size, since in a large project you would typically have more repetitive tasks on a large scale that would benefit the most from programming workflows. However, I didnā€™t check the survey. Maybe itā€™s in fact generally not suitable like you say.

Of course, it depends on the project type and all project sizes can benefit from this in one way or another. Larger project just have the biggest benefit.

I think his problem with the question was that being able to select only one option was a weird choice, in addition to the question itself being an odd choice as someone in the industry.

The scale of the project might have different pros and cons for how Dynamo can be useful but to say one size scale benefits more than another is a hard topic to battle and in my opinion not worth the fight.

Meaning, smaller scale projects can utilize more direct changes/graphs and easier to troubleshoot/shorter development time. A larger scale project comes with more problems even for a repetitive task (try geometry intersection on a 4 tower apartment complex). And say you develop a graph to do the repetitive task for a large scale, it still works for small scale.

But, as you said, larger scale projects lets you use the same graph to do x amount more of repetitive actions.

Both give Dynamo a way to be useful, and I would say neither one receive more benefits.

Edit: Back to the original survey question, ā€œwhichā€¦ are a best fit for visual programming workflows?ā€ the answer is all of them.

1 Like

Iā€™d say the bigger the project, the more time gained.
Also, the more the project data is structured the more managable it gets.

Hi Simon,

I thought this was a pretty decent attempt, you clarified that you were a student and you were modest enough to ask for input. I would take on-board everything Erik says :slight_smile:

I would perhaps try and apply greater structure to the questions, perhaps around themes, to help you clarify the question you are looking to answer.

Unfortunately question 29 seemed to freak out and I couldnā€™t complete the survey, parts 2 and 7 kept going blank when I submitted.

To follow on from the comments above, if you have lots of similar small projects, that may give the repetition you need for a dynamo graph to pay back quickly. Also, some things are simply impossible without Dynamo or a plugin, so the payback is inherent.

As Jonathan says, weā€™d be grateful if you could post your findings.

Mark

1 Like

Hi All, thank you for your input so far I will try and address the issues raised after work over the next few days.

Thanks, Simon

Smaller projects have tighter deadlines and must go faster as a result. Also, firms that go small tend to do so often and with a lot of repetitive work. Youā€™re also spending more time on repetitive work in the overall scheme as there are less ā€˜typicalā€™ details as there is less room for repetition.

All of this is to piggy back on what Eric said above. Heā€™s a bit of an expert on that front. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You all have some good points. Also, dynamo could be used help with organization and construction documents on all projects, no matter the size. I was just saying from my own experience, I find it tends to be much more helpful on large projects, enabling fewer people to accomplish much more on a bigger scale. I donā€™t do a lot of small scale repetitive work.

I also wanted to spark a little debate. Itā€™s interesting to hear peopleā€™s different insights :wink:

Hello all,

Thank you all very much for your comments and for those that completed the survey. I am afraid I am unable to edit the survey at this time because this would invalidate the precious reponses I have already recieved. However the limiting aspects of the way I have pharsed the questions will be noted in the final report.

I will be posting the results of this research in January next year.

Thanks again, and also please anyone else can you complete the survey

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WRSBGBT

Would you like responses from those of us who are no longer in AEC but instead work in industries dedicated to building out the toolset?

Hi Jacob, I think that outside the scope but thanks all the same

1 Like

true words Erik. I think he should first reading some books about how to create an academic questionnaire and books about research methodologies. And then you should test your survey with 2-3 participants (or with your own answers), before make it public to the whole community. The whole research is worth nothing if the questions are crap. If you start wrong with the questionnaire, the whole research project will be a fail.

2 Likes

Putting in a line like ā€œThis questionaire is not meant for academic purposesā€ ?

thanks, found really useful information to be honest. can i ask you questions in case i will have pct? thanks

1 Like

@Marcel_Rijsmus I think it is a MSc distance learning course =)

@simon_murphy1 you should also know how to analyse the survey. For example the software SPSS (check what licences your uni offers).

books:
standard for all types of research: Alan Bryman - Social Research Methods

questionnaires:
Surveys in Social Research by D.A. de Vaus
Handbook of Web Surveys
Online Surveys for Dummies
Designing and conducting survey research - A comprehensive guide by Louis M Rea
Handbook of Survey Methodology for the Social Sciences
SPSS for Dummies

or copy some questions of my questionnaire and compare them, what has changed during that time: https://dynamonodes.com/2016/03/17/resource-thesis-by-thomas-vogt-current-application-of-graphical-programming-in-the-design-phase-of-a-bim-project/

1 Like

Hi All,

Above is a link to the results of my quatative survey on BIM and Visual Programming. After consulting with my tutor I will be conducting a much smaller qualitative survey soon, please DM me if you would like to take part in an interview?

I would like to thank all those who took part!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Thanks, Simon

2 Likes

Hi All,

I simply need a few responses to my new qualitative survey. If you could be so kind. This is just a test survey.

Thanks, Simon