Research on dynamo

hello everyone ,

i’m a parisian student , and i’m preparing a research on dynamo for my studies.

Does anybody volunteer for answering some questions about dynamo ??? that would be very helpfull for me

Thank you so much

2 Likes

Hi Soumaya

Go ahead and post your questions…

1 Like

I’m in.

thank you so much for answering me :slight_smile:

it s like a small interview to get to know more about dynamo from your experience and your point of view

1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ?
  2. where ? ( country)
  3. since when are you using dynamo ?
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference .
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn't find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
Thank you so much if you accept to answer these questions , it would be an enormous help

Hello Soumaya,

1. In a firm - but Contract to the firm.

2. Glasgow, Scotland (United Kingdom). I’m from New Zealand originally.

3. I’m just learning right now, so no ‘projects’ yet. I’ve created a few useful definitions however, prime one being one that pulls out the Rooms from a project and gives you accurate data on the wall areas of each room.

4. Dynamo is automating a whole bunch of manual and tedious tasks that before we’re mindless and took time. It also allows for mathematically derived form creation which excites me.

5. Dynamo allows a lot of interaction with Parameters in Revit, which is really where a lot of the power comes from. I dabbled in Grasshopper but never used it heavily so can’t really comment sorry.

6. Dynamo is the next big step in parametricism where Revit is concerned. It allows us to do a lot that native Revit cannot. Also, the potential for ‘baking’ code into families is truly mouth watering.

7. Yes it does. As an Architect I believe we’re moving more towards solution generation rather than form finding. The world has changed and we have to design within a whole lot of legal criteria that is more stringent now than ever and will continue to get so. Dynamo gives us the ability to design solutions that fall within certain restrictive parameters. It’s a workhorse that allows us to do what we do best - and why we fell in love with the profession… Design. As such, coding languages and Dynamo in particular should be included in Universities.

8. It’s just starting to be picked up here in the United Kingdom at present - but as I’m not from here my contact list is small so I can’t comment.

9. I see the future of Architecture as embracing technology, and Dynamo falls into that category. We need to work smarter, not harder. Scripting and parametricism gives us that ability.

10. Yes I’m more than happy to answer further questions.

2 Likes

thank you so much for answering , so kind of you :slight_smile:

1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? Firm: Perkins+Will
  2. where ? ( country) Canada
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? Feb 19, 2015
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : I am using it as a primary computational design tool for a large transit hub in the Middle East
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? I program with Revit's API and design with GH. No differences for me, but I have noticed that my colleagues are more engaged with computation now that I'm using Dynamo on a project, which is good.
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo I've noticed that GH's maturity in UI and Galapagos are absent in Dynamo. My list is short because I haven't used Dynamo much yet, whereas GH I've used for 5+ years.
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? I expect that it will help democratize computation in design, which is good.
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? Tools can be learned online for free.
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? None that I know of.
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? I optimistically expect that computation will grow in popularity among designers.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed Yes.
1 Like

Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ?
University lecturer & partner in a design firm

Where ?
Germany

Since when are you using Dynamo ?

What kind of projects did you make using Dynamo:
Mostly quality control, model checking/review, task automation.
Talking about some of the stuff I do with Dynamo at last year’s AU (starts roughly at 36:50):
http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2014/revit-for-architects/ab6542
Presentation from last year’s RTC Europe on model checking with Dynamo (examples in the second half of the presentation):
https://prezi.com/jqdljnvns9si/utilising-dynamo-beyond-computational-design/
Presentation from last year’s eCAADe on checking students’ models with Dynamo:
https://prezi.com/kaagf4w6iq-d/the-truth-is-in-the-model/
Generative design & design optimization (student work) - a 20 min video (German, unfortunately no English subtitles yet):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKyXRnTD_s
Some of the workflows I use regularly in classes:
https://github.com/CAAD-RWTH/ClockworkForDynamo/tree/master/workflow_samples

What are the differences that you find after working with Dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
I now have the ability to create custom workflows in Revit and automate tasks that previously used to be boring, tedious, min-numbing and time-consuming.

In your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between Grasshopper and Dynamo ?
One of them operates in a native BIM environment, the other one doesn’t. One is mature, the other isn’t (yet).

How do you think that Dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
It will make computation more accessible and feasable for the average architect. And it will most probably have a heavy impact on interoperability issues.

Do you think that Dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ?
Absolutely. I started incorporating it into some of the classes I teach two years ago.

And why ?
Because computation is a skill that is becoming increasingly important, not only in general, but also specifically in architecture ever since we have started fiddling with large amounts of data in building models.

How many firm / people ( in your region, or country ), you know, who are working with Dynamo ?
Dynamo adoption in Germany is still pretty slow. There are a few firms that have started toying with it, but we’re always a few years behind the US in terms of tech adoption.

How do you see the future of architecture, design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
Less bleak than before. :wink:

Do you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) answering further questions if needed ?
Yes.

2 Likes

@Santiago Diaz : Thank you Sir for answering , very Generous of you

@Andreas Dieckmann : Thank you so much Mr Dieckmann for answering , so kind of you

1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? In a firm
  2. where ? United States
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? January 2015
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : I've been working on a few projects to use Dynamo as a tool to help designers save time (numbering rooms, importing sheet and excel data)
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? Well we're still working at it, but it is saving time that is normally taken up by repetitive, time consuming tasks.
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo Dynamo seems to work in a less linear fashion than grasshopper, it seems to have a stronger ability to manipulate already written data, whereas grasshopper front-loads all of its calculation and works less in the host software.
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? I think more people need to use it before its starts changing anything. I believe parametric design has more potential in synthesizing industry practices rather than creating unique form.
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? The university I studied at didn't not teach software as a part of it's curriculum. If you were interested in a piece of software, it was your responsibility to learn it on your own time. It works out well because no two people work the same, and the students were able to take their own approaches to design, rather than be pigeon-holed into overly-specific avenues. So, no, I don't think it should be more included in teaching. Besides, by monetizing it, i think it would lose its open-source approach, and undermine it's usefulness to designers.
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? I don't know
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? For those willing to put in the effort, I see dynamo as a tool to save time and energy where we don't currently have tools to automate work for us. Design is such a small part of architecture; I see Dynamo as a way to be able to spend more time designing.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed Of course.
1 Like

Firm
where ? ( country)
Turkey
since when are you using dynamo ?
I was playing with it from time to time since I’ve first seen it at buildz. But I’ve been really using it since AU (December 2014)
what kind of projects did you make using dynamo :
I’m using it in all our recent projects. Pretty wide spectrum…
what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
We are heavily using API. It’s usually better to solve general/recurring problems with add-ins. With a dynamic platform as Dynamo you can tackle any problem.
I’ve found out that even if you want to write an add-in, Dynamo is still the best platform to prototype it.
in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
Dynamo manipulates Revit! Where the real deal / manhours / cost is at.
how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
As how Revit did once! This is phase 2 for masses…
do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
Architecture education here is like teaching how to be a sculpturer without ever talking about a hammer.
Yes it’s beyond what a hammer does, but it’s still what a hammer does.
how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
I know four other people.
how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
Dynamo and it’s community will democratize wisdom, not some technology.
Think about nodes as a living “knowledge and experience”. You’re understanding them and thinking and acting using them.
DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
Sure…

1 Like

@Edward : thank you so much for your answers, so kind of you

@Mehmet : thank you so much , so kind of you

1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ?
  • Firm (also graduate school student :))
  1. where ? ( country)
  • Turkey
  1. since when are you using dynamo ?
  • Trying to use since v.0.6 but daily use since v.7
  1. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference .
  • We use it for rebuilding a project made with grasshopper, in revit. link
  • Preparing some 3d visiluation link
  • for everything computational
  1. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
  • It's a way to simplify and automating things. You can use it like an API add-in
  • For computational problems now we have a new toy :)
  1. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
  • Grasshopper is at nearly final stages but dynamo at baby steps. It has many add ins etc.. But dynamo has the capability to create a BIM project. This makes Dynamo unique.
  1. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
  • Dynamo will be a powerful tool which combine "BIM" with "Computation". That means unlimited design process.
  1. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
  • May be as an introduction. Many <b>don't have a computational mind. </b>
  1. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
  • 3 people, one of them is Mehmet (2 top), other tries to use it.
  1. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
  • Computational is the future of architecture. (like the others professions. most of them use it). You can simulate experience with these tools. And this future will be build on "BIM" as the ground.
  1. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
  • of course
1 Like

sorry for wrong link

• Preparing some 3d visiluation link

BIM support at firm

Where ?
USA

Quality control and automation in Revit projects. (With a focus on documentation)

What are the differences that you find after working with Dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
I can now access the Revit database on a level I could not before. I often find myself thinking of faster ways to get stuff done on a daily basis.

In your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between Grasshopper and Dynamo ?

It will make computation more accessible and feasable for the average architect. And it will most probably have a heavy impact on interoperability issues.

I think it would be amazing to have someone come out of school knowing Revit and Dynamo.

And why ?
To support design teams with automation computation and making sure the documents are consistent.

How many firm / people ( in your region, or country ), you know, who are working with Dynamo ?
Currently, I believe my firm is the only one in our region really diving into Dynamo. I know of one other one who is scratching the surface.

How do you see the future of architecture, design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
Very promising, we are now more efficient and have the ability to develop custom processes.

Do you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) answering further questions if needed ?
Yes.

3 Likes

@Enes , @John : thank you so much for your help ! :slight_smile:

UNIPD University of Padua, And HIT Harbin Institute of Technology

Where ?
Italy and China

September 2014

Rhynamo,Optimo, UIA competition design an hospital with functional design

If you want work with this software you have to study how it works like all the software. But after this it is very fast and functional

I used Rhino last here, it works with surface, it is very useful for model complex shape, but thanks to Nathan Miller you can use Rhynamo to link Rhino and Dynamo. And Dynamo is BIM. IT IS THE FUTURE.

We can finally create a Dynamic Building. Start think to this.

The next year probably we will offer some courses of this software in my university

And why ?
<b>It is important that the student start learn and in this way they can understand all its advances</b>

In my country none tha I know, I think very few people, now I am in China for this reason

Dynamic

<b>I’m in</b>

1 Like

Firm
where ? ( country)
Denmark
since when are you using dynamo ?
Since (somewhere around 2014)
what kind of projects did you make using dynamo :
I’m using as a gateway to other platforms and tools (mostly simulation tools)
what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
Visual programming languages are way faster and more convenient opposed to VB, C#, Python, etc.
in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
Revit is the difference
how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
I think it will improve the way people will interact with problem solving. It will be much more dynamic and interactive. I think it will let building designers think more integrated, which again will lead to new and innovative solutions.
do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
Visual programming and parametrisism have always been associated with one another. I hope universities will see beyond this and look into what Dynamo (and other visual programming languages) can spark innovative ideas into the teaching.
how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
I know about five other people actively using Dynamo
how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
Dynamo is a language. This means whatever you may express with this language may eventually be made. Lets hope universities take this opportunity seriously .
DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
Yes. NP

1 Like

Thank you : Alberto and Kristoffer :slight_smile: