Area to Volume

Hello everybody.

I’m trying to create a volume geometry, based on a area (not room!).
I managed to get the Curve of each area, but when I want to extrude it in dynamo, dynamo tells me it’s not a closed Curve !
It is surely closed as it creates a aera. Is it a bug or I’m doing something wrong ?

Thank you!

Hello @r.sanderson Welcome ;)…try join your curves with polycurve by joined curves and see if it could help

2 Likes

Actually, they don’t have to be closed. Revit puts a LOT of effort into closing stuff for us. This was added because it’s well known that when users start having to draw all the lines they get lazy and want to skip stuff (source: open an rvt file and check if the area lines are form a closed loop), which is a reasonable action IMO. And so you can draw two offset parallel lines that are ~1/2 an inch or 1cm apart and you’ll get a closed boundary.

The key part is that computationally these aren’t closed and so when you try to use them for something else you need to force them closed somehow. You can either go clean up the area boundaries and close them, or you can collect the data differently. Likely best to go with option 1, but option 2 might work too if we knew what method you’d used before.

3 Likes