All Types of each Family placed on curve to create Library

Hi. I’m interested in placing all types of each family on curve with certain distance.
I was wondering if someone can share the solution here.

1 Like

How many placement points does your family have?

1 Like

It’s just a matter of creating a numeric sequence. Based on the number of family types you have, you create that many points along your curve, either with a fixed distance or fixed total length.

1 Like

Let’s say one. There are host based families and unhosted ones also.

1 Like

Is there way to count number of family types by dynamo? Because some families have FT catalog with several types in there.

Sure. You would have to have a list of all your types in order to place them, so you could easily get a count of that list.

1 Like

It work with placing all types of choosen category.
But it place all elemenst from same choosen category in one column. It will be greate to have each family types in different column. Is it real?

Definitely. What you need then is the count for total types in each family and the count for total families. Then you can create a points list for each type based on the family (X coordinate value) and the type (Y coordinate value). Just make sure your list structure is a list of families with sublists of each type and you should be a good shape.

1 Like

That works for one placement point Categories
How about “more” placement point Elements like Floors?

1 Like

The x- and y-coordinates based on families and types is more of an “origin point” for defining placement arrays. For typical “point-and-place” families that’s all you need. For line-based or boundary-based objects you’d obviously need to define those geometries separately, but they could still be based off of the singular x- and y-coordinates determined by the above process.

2 Likes

For now I need to place loadable families, so hard shaped/sketch/adaptive/etc families we can ignore. Thanks you for your attention.

Thanks for playing along Nicky, now this man knows what to do :slight_smile:
Find the close curve node :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you all. I’m going to test it. After positive output I’ll share method/screenshot. Probably someone else will meet same problem in future.

BTW it’s time to add visual library views in Revit. Which will allow users to create schedule based on library element to compare parameter values and determinate missing values.

What if someone downloaded a Family that helps him/her out of time-issues, lets say an architect.

1 Like

R23_Cube.rfa (440 KB)
R23_Cube.txt (2.1 KB)

I have been trying this all day and I can’t get the families to place in a line. They always show up on top of one another.

You’ll have to show us what you have so far if you’re wanting suggestions on how to fix it. We need to see the graph logic and data flow (make sure all node preview bubbles are pinned).

1 Like

You need to know what is the geometry size of each type so you know what distance to separate from the others to have fixed distance between geometries. I resolved this same task years ago . Also create elements as placeholders in that line row of placement points when families are hosted. This exercise consumes all memory RAM very frustrating. Autodesk Takeoff does this automatically in cloud by grouping placed elements by categories or similar properties