Aligning Inserted Components to the curve of a Structural Beam

Hi all, I’ve seen other posts about wrapping beams with ThinShell and so forth but, the geometry fails once Steel Connections are added. Therefore, I’ve created a Generic Model element that I want to align to structural beams as a way to simulate fireproofing during clash analysis. I am able to get the inserted family to work on most conditions. However, when the beams are off axis, it seams the alignment is mirrored and not aligned. Any thoughts?

I created a closeup image of the Insert nodes. If anyone can offer advice, it would be much appreciated!

I stumbled across something interesting today that resolved the issue. Structural Beams in Revit have a start and end point defined by the beam’s direction symbol. My assumption is that the direction is reversed in the coordinate system after watching the start point and end point nodes. Thus the end is the start and the start is the end. By reversing the direction of the troublesome beams, it inverts the start and end points of the beam’s curve and aligns the fireproofing element as expected.

My new challenge is brace members. I can see that Dynamo is capturing the curve of the brace. It’s creating the point at the Start Point of the brace. It’s creating the tangent point along the curve of the brace to create the vector. However, The vector of the placed Family Instance, is not aligning with the vector of the tangent points. It’s off by 40 degrees! Any ideas?

All, I figured it out. I needed to resolve the vector’s angle in 2D, not 3D. The nodes in Dynamo take into account Z. So, I made my own custom node to perform the math! The Angle of the brace is resolved in the Fireproofing family via the formula inverse sin of the parameters End Attachment Elevation divided by Length pulled from the brace and pushed to the Fireproofing element. Easily done by the Get and Set Parameter Values by Name nodes.

1 Like

By any chance can you send the Dyn for this? It would really help.