Alias Surfaces Imported to Dynamo Missing or Untrimmed issue

Hello, Dynamo team and members.
I have a problem with Alias Dynamo bothering me. :sob:
Could you please help me? Thanks!!

Why are the Alias ​​surfaces imported into Dynamo missing or untrimmed?

Most surfaces in the Alias ​​skin data, including surfaces I created myself in Alias, are fine. some cases in some external data, such problems occur.
I would like to know under what circumstances this problem may occur.
Are there any rules for creating alias surfaces that prevent this from happening? I think I need to inform those who provided the data.

In addition, I am using Alias 2024.
I attached related wire file, and dyn file. and please watch Images below.

This is the surfaces in Alias, below

This is the surfaces in dynamo, below

This is the error message, below

import error report.dyn (5.2 KB)
import error report.wire (114.2 KB)

@Lynn_Kim Thanks for reporting this! Yes, trimmed surfaces can cause issues. In your data set, I can repair most of the trimmed surfaces, by simply untrimming, and then re-trimming them.
Unfortunately, one surface is still not accepted by Dynamo then (see attached image). Dynamo claims that it is not G1 continuous. I could rebuild that surface, trying to fix this, but I’m not sure if this is really wanted?
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
GG
repaired.wire (118.9 KB)

PS: So the trimming issues are caused by the (probably bad?) quality of the trimming of the producing CAD system.

1 Like

You can try to export that surfaces as SAT, than import them back to Dynamo. This trick works with Revit, so maybe it will work in Alias too.

1 Like

I have created ALS-25991 and ALS-25992, to check if Dynamo can be more tolerant when reading in such problematic surfaces.

1 Like

If I can’t find the fundamental reason and solution, I think this could be an alternative. Thank so much @Vladimir

Thanks for your reply @Michael-GG . In addition to re-trim, which is the method you suggested, I also tried rebuild-uniform. It loads properly in Dynamo as you feared, but continuity is broken.
I don’t want that.

I found out from the person who provided the data what program this model was originally created in, and it was CATIA. They said that the model from CATIA was opened with Alias and then saved as a wire file.

After checking, there was no problem with the same skin data created through Alias.

Anyway, I hope that surface data created in other programs will not have this error.

Thank you so much @Michael-GG
Could you let me know where ALS-25991ALS-25992 is?

These appear to be formal problem reports, meaning a member of the Alias development team will be looking at the issue. It does not ensure a solution, nor does it provide a timeline, nor give any more than the number. The numbers do allow you an authorized Autodesk employee to access our internal systems directly (rather than us having to search) so we can let you know if there are any updates which we can share internally (ie:Because the Alias fixed this we can now move our development team onto that) or externally (ie: development trying to identify the source of the geometry), or add additional information to (ie: the customer has identified the original data set was built by importing a Catia model).

I am not an authorized individual for this project, but based on timeline there isn’t likely much movement to share yet.

2 Likes

Exactly, thanks, Jacob! Kim, we will try to investigate if we can let Dynamo be more tolerant in regards of trim quality, respectively the internal surface continuity.

1 Like

@jacob.small @Michael-GG Thank you for the detailed explanation and reporting on the issue. I look forward to better quality Alias and Dynamo.

2 Likes