Adjusting sections based on correctly placed sections on a floorplan

Hi there,

I need some help. I’m the only Dynamo pioneer in the office, and I’ve received a request from a colleague. They would like to set the sections correctly in one floorplan view and automatically copy the location to the other floorplan views. I’ve tried multiple nodes and code, but I can’t seem to get the section locations for some reason. Can someone help me? I prefer using nodes because I’m not the best with code.

Hi @Yordi ,

Seems a bit cumbersome to do this in Dynamo. Aren’t sections multi-level? If not, Revit has a built-in copy to other levels function

1 Like

The use case may be to copy paste reference sections here? So you are looking for the paste option “Allign to current view”

In which case maybe just use the inbuilt revit finction for paste to views instead?

Hi Daan,

The sections are in place, but when I adjust a section on the ground floor, for example, it doesn’t automatically change on the other floors. Currently, we are making these changes manually, which is time-consuming, especially for mid to high-rise buildings, as you can imagine.

Hi pyXam,

I have introduced this idea to the BIM development team, but we would like to keep our modeling process clean. If we create new reference sections on every floor, we believe it would make it more complex for new employees and increase the risk of mistakes made by them.

We would like to draw our sections on one floor, for example, the ground floor, and if we make any adjustments to them, it needs to be copied to the other views as well.

This is fundamentally wrong in revit. If you draw a section that is say going though the L0 with its bottom and top extents being ffl and underslab of L1 then it will not be visible on L1.

If i am understanding the above correctly, then you will need to experiment for me.

Can you,
-draw a reference plane on your ground floor plan
-make a section
-pin it to the ref plane
-make another section that references the first
-pin the reference section to the ref plane.

If the above experiment works then you might be able to in dynamo;
-copy ref sections to floors
-pin them to the ref plane
-reassign their value to the original.

To be clear though, this is not a clean workflow. Youd need have alot of sections and levels to justify this.

Try the experiment first, i cant remember if you can pin ref sections to ref planes

Alternatively, there might be oporunity to
-Copy and paste with Dynamo
-Place the newly created elements in a data remember node for future.

This isn’t a clean workflow though.

Personally, id probably be going down the road of duplciating the section as a dependant and then changing he cropt region of the duplicated sections you want, but even then i don’t think revit plays nice when you move that section, ie the dependants are not impacted.

though cookie, maybe someone smarter than me knows a work around.