Add family parameter

Hi everyone,

First of all, im very new to dynamo and trying to learn as much as i can from the forum and youtube.

Goal :-
-add family parameter based on excell without opening the family. (Excell generated from different software)

Package used:-
Crumple
Orchid

i tried follow some of the youtube tutorials and guidance from forum to add, but im failing on this as its not working. not sure where went wrong.

another question, nodes from different package can we mix and use?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!!

The FamilyDocument.AddParameter works with a family opened in the Revit Application - so I think in this instance it is not going to work as you are opening family files and accessing their Document property.

The Crumple package does have the FamilyDocAddSharedParameter node which will work. Keep following the AussieBIMGuru @GavinCrump video on YouTube.

Using shared parameters is good practice as these can be used in tags and schedules and used consistently across families and projects

2 Likes

I think the node to add parameter works with single item inputs instead of lists of inputs. Try single item inputs to see if works, also the family document requested looks like different format need to understand what that node demands and create custom python code to fix it or use the document nodes of orchid to achieve it

Hi @FahimAnuar that node expect a revit.application,family document…im not sure which document your node give, but you could try ootb familydocumenttodocument…or try some of rhythm nodes for convert to right document…but im a agree with @Mike.Buttery about shared parameter are probably better

another way could be with birdtool multiplayer instead of BGopen

4 Likes

hi @FahimAnuar
could you explain your case study in more details
and if you don not mind to share with us the final dynamo script and .xls file just to understand what the script goal
thanks in advanced

Orchid nodes generally don’t play nicely with others unless you use the nodes they provide to convert Orchid docs back to db docs. The addparameter node from my package works with my other ones you are using, I have a video showing how to use them here:

Hi sovitek, pardon me for my late reply, would you mind explain to me if i want to use birdtool multiplayer, then my script must be create to work on current document? or do i still need to have nodes indicating open the RFA files?

I would like to use shared parameter, but as per my client request, they want to have options to add either family parameter and shared parameter. Currently for creating shared parameter i have no issue as i follow along @GavinCrump video tutorial.

hi gavin, thank you for your reply, i tried follow along your video but your package only contains for shared parameter. May i know “© FamilyDocAddSharedParameter” can work for family parameter as well? or is there any workaround?

@HaniTartour i couldn’t share my file as im a new user., is there any other way that i could share my files?

1.Client has bunch of families
2.Excell file containing family parameters.
3.Add the excel file containing family parameter to “RFA” without opening in bg.
4.Optional to add shared parameter if needed.

Hi @FahimAnuar you can share your dataset via filetransfer, webtransfer, etc…and share the link here…

yes it should be possible with birdtool as well

Yes sure, here you go

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvyESHCi_9USVV_Eryaju1Hu0r8BIJ3B?usp=drive_link

Thanks :wink: take a look later im a little bit busy right now…

1 Like

Hi @FahimAnuar try something here it should work in your case…but keep in mind in 24 we have new PG_GROUP it have change to grouptype and spectype…so here i have map it…run it with birdtool on your files…for shared it would try with Crumple or OpenMep…as it is a little bit different----give it a try :wink:

Home.dyn (53.8 KB)

BTW if you convert to revit.application.family.document you first graph graph should work with bg open…

i have test in 2022…hope it works in 2021 as well…not sure

Add parameter.dyn (52.1 KB)

1 Like

I’d recommend looking into Python if you’re getting into conditional pathways/logic. This is the API call for family parameter addition. The process would be very similar to the shared parameter addition method in my own nodes:

Personally I rarely bulk add family parameters at a global level as they don’t serve much purpose at project level itself, only family level.

Hi sovitek, thank you for the script!!! But theres a bummer, i cant find thespecifi version of rhythm in the package manager. May i know how to get that specific version or is there any replacement node for that? currently im using revit 2021.1.

another question, if we install newest version of certain package on lower version of dynamo will is still work?

not sure…but you can always try download the latest from here Dynamo Packages and use z zip so its unblocked and move it to package location…try it and see whats happend, but i cant test as i dont have 2021

ok then ill try in revit 2023 first…thanks @sovitek

Hi sovitek, i have tried the first script you provide, it work like charm…except its pointing to current document but i need it to work without opening document. I tried using crumple but the script is not working. not sure where went wrong.

The second that you have edited based on mine, it says it “expects argument type”. How to resolve this issue?

Home_V1.dyn (69.3 KB)
Add parameter V1.dyn (53.9 KB)

sorry for my later reply.

1 Like

no worries, i take a look in the weekend our next week…is a little bit busy today…

ps looks like you are 23 or 24 now, be sure you have dynamoironpython 2.7 package installed…

and keep in mind you need feed in spectypes and grouptypes it has changed from older version

Yeap no problem, take your time. Yes i upgraded to 23 since my client requested. Ill install dynamoironpython 2.7.

Do you mind explaining aboud spectype’s and grouptype’s ?