Batch add shared parameters to Revit families

I’m new to dynamo and a useful tool would be to batch-add shared parameters to families. I have standard shared parameters for specific families (for example, a fan always gets a horse-power parameter). That could be 10+ shared parameters I have to manually add to a family.

There are already threads, but nothing that I seem to understand or can use to make it work. those threads have custom nodes, but I can’t read or edit them and also like to understand how it works instead of just copying some code.

Could someone point me to how to do that? I realize I some how have to read the shared Parameter txt file, select which parameters I need, and add them to a family. I understand this may be a large project for a beginner, but is one I would use a lot and it would teach me a lot.

I don’t think there are Dynamo packages that will facilitate this.
I have been experimenting with adding family parameters bit in the past and some experience with Python is going to get you where you want to go.
With python you’re first going to want to get the family object you want to add the parameters to. After that you can add the parameters using the Family Manager object. See this thread for reference: Adding parameters to a family

Hi @enkus
which version of Revit do you use? For this task maybe try Orchid and Rhythm packages. Cheers

I use Revit 2021. I had dynamo install the Rythm package and will play with that. I’m still struggling to the Orchid package (our IT department doesn’t allow exe files to run, so need to work around that).

I’m just starting to dig into Python. My python skills are worse than my nearly zero Dynamo skills so far.

Hi @enkus any news? Have you installed Orchid package to do the trick?
Cheers

Thanks for checking. Sorry, I got distracted… i made it my goal for each design project i take some time to create alt least one Dynamo program that somehow makes life easier or benefits that project.

I had tried to install orchid. But out of dynamo I only can install a read-me file that tells me to download from a website. That seems to give me an exe-file.
Problem is, our IT had installed an applocker software and that doesn’t allow executables without approval by IT (and that requires the vendor to give me security data etc…). So I only can use packages that I can install via Dynamo, or in some other way that is not an actual installation and executable.

@GavinCrump (The Aussie BIM Guru) has a few YoutTube tutorials explaining how you can do this. You’ll need to have the Orchid package installed. I’ve attached my version of Gavin’s script for you, but I should warn you: I’m still tinkering with it because I’m using Dynamo 2.6.1

I hope that helps!

I think there is now another option with the BIM Interoperability Tools: Autodesk Equipment Data Tool for Revit

2 Likes

SJ_Salford: unfortunately I’m not able to install the Orchid package since it requires a separate installation and not just an install from within dynamo (IT doesn’t allow). but I’m hopeful the new Revit 2022 nodes include something useful

Thomas3: I tried the Configurator from the BIM interoperability tool in 2021. But it only seems to add or edit some sort of COBie parameters (i know nothing about COBie) . I was hoping to add shared parameters from the shared-parameter txt file to a family. I could have missed something, though. Some time soon i will switch to Revit 2022 and see if that is any more useful for my purpose. Honestly, i must have had that tab in Revit all the time and didn’t even know it was there, so I may have used the wrong tool. But I tried all and none looked like it would do what I want (in Revit 2021 anyway)

I have the same problem with my company’s IT department… I ended up doing the work on old an air-gapped PC to avoid any security risks. I saved my company weeks of work. Try to get your IT guys to think outside the box, I know our IT guys don’t want to do anything outside what’s written in their VERY CORPORATE “dos and don’ts” list and have very little practical interest in saving time (and thus money). I just broke the numbers down to my boss and he gave me the go-ahead to “get creative”

…Designers are creative by nature IT guys… not so much!

2 Likes

Yep second this.

If your IT guys don’t accept exe files and wont test/approve them you should find other IT guys - these ones are wasting your company’s money.

1 Like

I found out i didn’t have the latest BIM operability update. Now after the update I have the " Equipment Data" tools and will try them.

Our IT has a software called applocker that prevents any non-approved files to execute. that software allows us to install pre-approved vendors (like Microsoft, or Autodesk), but even those sometimes require It to assist since there are hiccups preventing isntallation or running of software. for any new software i need:

• approval by supervisor (that is the easy one)
  • approval by our attorneys
  • approval by IT
  • documents from the company regarding their EULA, security details etc.

For a normal software that cost $1000, I can get the data from the vendor and can get approval. But for a freeware, or a $5 software, no vendor spends the time.

This ordeal also applies to a demo software. If I just want to try out a new software on trial basis, I basically have to do it at home on my personal PC.

So unless Autodesk includes it, or can be installed directly out of Dynamo, I’m not likely to be able to use it.

Yepp, it wastes a lot of time and money…