Adaptive Component orientation

Can anyone tell me why my adaptive component will not stay oriented to the 4 points and continues to stay oriented to the world system? I assume this is my lack of knowledge of adaptive components but maybe its because I am doing adaptive component by point and it does not have a surface to reference?.

Please can you post some more details.

I’d say the problem is in the family itself.
Does it behave properly when you manually place it ?

So I built a panel. The issue I am having is that the panel offset parameter is only working in a literal direction, it does not want to tilt away from the planar panel. I understand that the adaptive points have a placement orientation but the orientation does not seem to make a difference when the panel is created from points only. If it was intersections of lines on a surface created in dynamo it works, but because I am just feeding it points from flux it is using a world coordinate system for its vector and not the panel one. Any ideas?

So its not the dynamo input because it does it manually now too. I am thinking this is something silly that I just dont know about but any help would be greatly apreciated.

and again.

Would be good if you could upload some of the files you’re playing with

So I finally got it to work but it looks as though an offset on either side of the points does not work. Furthermore if you create geometry offset from the points it re centers the geometry! Thats nuts if thats the case. The points should be anchors for creating the geometry no matter where it is, not a bounding box. See atta

Tilt Panel.rfa (316 KB)

hed files.

Vail,

You can select the adaptive point in the family and make sure they are set to host (xyz) this way it will pick up surface normal orientation from the mass you are hosting to. Alternatively if you are placing them independent of any surface (using tools like Dynamo to just “float” them) that same setting will behave a little differently.

Ps. Remember that this is a Dynamo forum and not a Revit forum. I would not post questions about how to build a family here, as it’s off topic.

Cheers!

Thanks Konrad.

I posted the question here because the AC was a “float” placement as you said. I have seen many examples where the adaptive component orientation could be placed off of a surface in different directions but just with points from dynamo it was working a little different. I assumed this was a dynamo placement issue, that may not have been clear.

No, Dynamo has nothing to do with how the family behaves. This is 100% based on how it was built and what adaptive component behavior and relationships were assigned in family context. Hence my comment about this being off topic.

Cheers!

The best solution to this problem is actually to use solid forms - playing with the coordinate methods of the adaptive points will do practically nothing to resolve the problem unfortunately…Revits/ACs are pretty dumb in these situations.

You need to draw reference lines with 3D snapping on clicking on each adaptive point. Extrude the resultant rectangle.
Now, select the edges of the extrusion and extrude again. Apply material etc AND click on the original solid extrusion and click its Visibility parameter off.

This is the only way I’ve found to get the normals to behave with such problems.

1 Like