Just to reiterate, the goal here is to get a very quick workflow to 3D print Revit elements.
My conclusion is that the graph above gives a successful outcome.
As a different kind of test, I made a deliberately very messy model to see what would happen…
This was with no work done in Meshmixer apart from ‘Combining’.
Total time from Revit to Cura less than 5 minutes. For me, this means a quick concept model can be printed and taken to meetings as part of the design development workflow.
Later on a more perfect model could be made for larger scale prints / presentations.
I didn’t have much success working inside Meshmixer, none of the ‘Make Solid’ settings gave outcomes that I was happy with, I would do any repair work within Revit (when the export is that fast, it seems more efficient).
Some other points:
I think families will need to be built specifically to be 3D print compatable.
Getting rid of model lines and making sure family elements stopped me getting wierd messages.
Adding a recessed extrusion which completely fills the family opening (but is invisible apart from 3D views )
reduces the evil red spheres.
I have also knocked up a graph which takes a CAD import and exports it from Revit to Dynamo to Meshmixer DwgImportFromRevitToMeshmixer.dyn (16.1 KB). This isn’t perfect, but is much more efficient than Sketchup > Solid Inspector.