Wish List: Watch nodes

This is probably more due to my learning Dynamo more than anything else, but I have two suggestions:
I tend to use a lot of Watch Windows while I’m testing things
1.) It would be handy to be able to right-click on a node and add a Watch node to the output. Unless there’s a simpler way, right now I either Copy/Paste a different Watch node, or go to the Library list, type “Wat”, hit enter, find the node and then link the output to the Watch node. right-click - Add Watch would simplify the task. Even if the node had multiple outputs, it would still be easier to switch from the first (defaulted) output.
2.) Again, I use a whole bunch of Watch Windows when I’m designing a graph. After it’s behaving, a one-click “Delete all Watches” would be handy to help celan up.

You aren’t aware of the Preview bubble?
Move your cursor to the bottom right corner of a node to initiate it.

2 Likes

Yes, I did know about the preview.
I just find it less flexible than a Watch Node.
You can move Watch nodes around and group them to make it easier to see relationships
Also, Watch nodes are a little more permanent. Although I hadn’t noticed the Pin before.

Thanks

As long as we’re wishing, variable width on Watch would be nice.

+1

I’d love to have a native resizable watch node. Some of those nested lists get big. I couldn’t wait for the dev team and did a very basic version. It’s called Watch+ and you can find it in spring nodes:

1 Like

[quote=“Dimitar_Venkov, post:5, topic:4778”]
I’d love to have a native resizable watch node. Some of those nested lists get big. I couldn’t wait for the dev team and did a very basic version. It’s called Watch+ and you can find it in spring nodes
[/quote] Yes, I use Watch+ sometimes when debugging.

I’ve been trying to use the Preview bubble more, and now I know why I don’t like it.
I DETEST those pop-up type dialogs that you have to play Tag with.
Hover over the bottom of the Node and the Preview pops up.
Move you mouse down and then to the right to click the pin.
Oops, moved to mouse a little too high & it disappeared.
Try again. Oops. Too low.
Third try clicked too soon.
Fourth attempt - finally timed it right and got the Pin to stay there long enough to click.

3 Likes

Yes, a pain in the mouse.

You probably aren’t alone :slight_smile:
That’s probably why there is now a Hide Preview Bubble setting

The Pin icon in 1.1.0 is MUCH more reliable than before.
Now, the icon is always just below the lower right corner of the Node.
Previously, it was at the far right of the Preview Bubble and varied with the length of the bubble.
(Can anyone say "Drunken Leprechaun?)

Nice fix, guys.

I was looking for Watch node query.

Is there a way to increase Watch Node Window size ? it is difficult to read a long string.
it was adjustable in Grasshopper, or maybe it is possible in Dynamo and I dont know it

In Revit 2022 Dynamo watch bodes are resizable.

1 Like

I know its old post, however wanted to let you know, some of your wishes have come true finally after many years
User Enhancements:
Watch Node is now resizable! as @GavinCrump mentioned

User Enhancements:
Dynamo Visual Refresh
Ability to break existing wire and add watch node in between with auto connection