Wireless Connections

Hi!

Another question from your most annoying dynamo-nation compatriot. Can we do wireless connections like in Grasshopper? In Grasshopper I usually dock all of my common references in the top left corner of the sketch, and then use wireless param nodes to reference them all over. It helps make everything more seamlessly parametric.

How can we accomplish this here? (Please tell me there is a native tool without python scripting…)

Goto -> View -> Connectors -> Uncheck Show Connectors

2 Likes

@Kulkul I like your sense of humor. :slight_smile: This would turn them off globally for ALL nodes. That’s not exactly helpful for anyone. I think he wants to be able to turn them off for some nodes, not for all.

@griendling87_griendl That functionality doesn’t exist in Dynamo as is. Can you post a wish request here: https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/issues

1 Like

@Konrad_K_Sobon I thought he was looking for all the nodes :smile:. Thanks for letting me know.

There is no node but you can do this by defining a function with a code blocks. Make sure you leave your inputs blank (or not?). Just be sure to use your parenthesis to open and close the function even if you have no inputs.

Check the primer entry for more good stuff about functions here:

http://dynamoprimer.com/en/07_Code-Block/7-4_functions.html

1 Like

You can achieve that with SetVar and GetVar from Prorubim at least to a certain extend:

3 Likes

Victor,

Does setvar/getvar work for all data types or just numerical values?

Kevin

Jacob,

The code blocks option I think is the closest thing to what I was thinking. I just am not a programmer so I wouldn’t think to set a function.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly the setvar/getvar can only handle simple types (string, double, int).

As @Konrad_K_Sobon says, it used to work with all Dynamo core input nodes (string, sliders, boolean, etc.), except Code Blocks.
Not sure if it has been updated on that matter.

Would you be able to use multiple of those SetVar and GetVar in the same graph?

I second the question. This is important.

You can use multiple instances of SetVar/GetVar but again, they only take core input nodes.

I don’t know what that means by core input nodes. It will only accept Var from the core menu of nodes?

Is there a way to do something similar to this but will just be an empty housing for ANY data? Core, Revit Fam, etc.?

Jacob,

I am actually trying to create an input node, that will house data to be used somewhere else. How would I program that? For instance (and remember I am not a programmer):

You would do this with coding. Think you’re going to have to learn some code to accomplish this.

:slight_smile:

Don´t get me wrong, but if the people from Prorubim haven´t developed this further must be for a valid reason.
I imagine that something deep in the core of Dynamo needs to be tweaked/used in order to achieve this, and without enough programming knowledge it seems like a dead end. :neutral_face:

Is there a resource specific to this goal? I don’t want to become fluent in japanese just to ask where the bathroom is…

If I have to learn it, do you have a good resource that might help me get to this level?

Related question: Why is it so easy in grasshopper, and so hard in Dynamo? The params panel of grasshopper just has empty housings for all data types. If I want to reroute the wire or make a name component, I just plug one of those dudes on there and its good.

This is a blow up of the aforementioned definition:

From this point forward I can plug in any of these variables with ease to make the thought process look cleaner.

Viktor,
Does setVar and getVar work with lists of variables? Like if I want to reference a list of categories in a bunch of places…

I tried to get multiple variables to work with and it doesn’t feed it through to the end. Any idea why?

Kevin

Please read this old post. It only accepts core input nodes, but not code blocks.
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/setvar-getvar/4791/4