Why Select Face Randomly Includes Openings

Does anyone know why when I select a face of an element, the surface includes some of the openings? It also returns the opening as a selected face.!

This is the element before selecting the face. As you can see there are (3) openings.

Select%20Face%20with%20Opening%20Panel%20View%20-%20Pre%20Selection|395x500

When I select the face, the return is (2) surfaces. One surface is the area of the larger opening and the other surface is the face which includes the area of the larger opening but does not include the area of the (2) smaller openings.

Select%20Face%20with%20Opening%20Dynamo%20Script

Here is a view of the panel once the selection is made. As you can see be the orange coloration, the larger opening is taken into account.

The model is a Revit 2019 version.

Select Face Includes Opening.rvt (1.4 MB)

I have tried multiple work arounds, however, since I have conditions where I need to select multiple faces on elements and some of those don’t have any openings, the returned results are not always listed the same way. Therefore, I cannot isolate out the opening surfaces, for element area calculation. Thanks!

this looks like a bug, similar to https://github.com/DynamoDS/DynamoRevit/issues/1767

1 Like

Would still like to get a resolution to this problem and whether it’s a Dynamo or Revit issue.