What is the difference between refinery toolkit and generative design button in dynamo?

Hello everyone,

I installed dynamo (2.13.0 version), and I installed refinery toolkit (1.1.1 verison). I tried to use it but I don’t know why there no button to run it and generate multiple design for my study.
I saw also there is generative design button that comes by default in dynamo which in my view do the same thing, so I want to know what is the difference between them ?

Thank you for your answer,
Amel

Refinery was generative design before it was integrated into Revit moreorless. Just use GD for Revit.

1 Like

Refinery Toolkit are some nodes which were developed based on initial customer feedback for generative design (lower case meaning the verb, not the product) applications in a Revit context. There are useful nodes for things like bin packing, space planning, and visibility analysis (plan only). More info here: Refinery Toolkit - Dynamo BIM.

Project Refinery is the name for Generative Design before it was an official offering (beta tool). More info here: Project Refinery Beta | Autodesk

Generative Design is what Project Refinery evolved into. Youc an use Refinery Toolkit nodes in your generative design graphs, or other out of the box nodes. I recommend checking out the Generative Design primer here: https://www.generativedesign.org/

3 Likes