Wall Layers and Material Custom Parameters

I was wondering if it was possible to access Revit wall layers (compound structure) and their properties? I was also wondering if it was possible to access Revit material custom parameters. I’m not a programmer unfortunately so I’m hoping there are custom nodes available to do these things as I think these items are available theough the API. Sorry if my questions are elementary or annoying.

Hello Rob,

yes, you can access custom material parameters:

custommaterialparams

Regarding compound layers: it is definitely possible -e.g. I have a node that looks for variable layers in compound structures. Can you describe what type of info you need? I will need to access compound layer info for a research project in a couple of weeks from now, so maybe I can cook up something that both of us find useful.

This is interesting for many reasons. Have’t tested yet but anyone know how to get (and change) appearance assets custom color (RGB) values?

Try Material.Properties in package Clockwork - that’ll give you the shading colour. I can put the colour change on my todo list, looks pretty straightforward.

BTW: Wouldn’t it be nice if the colours were actually visible in Dynamo, e.g. in a Watch node or the Color.ByARGB node?

Hello Andreas Dieckmann,

I if understand your question, you need a way to get Geometries in multiple color in Background preview itself right?

Thanks,

Ritesh

@Andreas: colors in dynamo would definitely be great!

Hello Ritesh, no. Håvard was asking about a way to change material colour in Revit using Dynamo (which we can do using Python), not the colour of geometry entities in Dynamo - although that would be really nice as well in order to be able to distinguish between different elements in preview. Maybe that could be made available through the context menu of the respective geometry nodes (“Set preview colour”).

Andreas,

Thank you for answering my questions. Seeing your example is very helpful. As far as the layers of compound structures goes, I’ve been searching for a way to schedule the materials of a wall based on their position within the wall assembly. It’s for wall documentation purposes. I will try to keep my explanation brief, but basically, instead of drawing a small section of every wall type and flagging the material, we just use small schedules with written descriptions of the materials of the wall and the relative position of the materials. In other words, I’d like to make a schedule which pretty much looks just like the wall assembly dialog box. Unfortunately, OOTB Revit doesn’t give us the ability to schedule a material’s location within a wall assembly…that I’m aware of. I’m pretty sure that the API allows access to this information.

What software do you use to create your custom nodes? Python script?

Thanks again,

Rob K.

Hello Rob,

that actually sounds more or less like the functionality I will need for our project. I’ll build this in the next couple of weeks and let you via this thread.

And yes, I’m using Python nodes.

Thanks again; I can’t wait to see what you come up with. You guys are magicians! Maybe I will try to learn Python…seems pretty daunting though.

Hi, changing shading material color could be fun, but I was actually thinking about Appearance Asset Color, and Glass Custom Color in particular. I can find some Appearance Assets using Element.Types and AppearanceAssetElements, but the list of available parameters is small. Shot in the dark here, but could Python pull out, and even better, manipulate this data?

In that case, Daylighting Analysis in Dynamo might be even more interesting.

2014-11-23_08-29-06 2014-11-23_08-37-33

Okay, compound layers are done. See this thread:

http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/parameter-of-the-window/

Håvard, let’s talk about materials at AU.

You got it mister.

That is sooo cool; I can’t wait to try out the node you created! Wish I was at AU this year. Thank you very much for your help.

Hello all,

I know that this conversation has been going on for several years. However, I am looking for exactly this solution. Unfortunately, the link above no longer works. Would it be possible to share the solution again here? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Lavinia