Wall Layer References

Trying to automatically dimension floor plans. For some reason using the node ‘Wall Layer References’ from the Geniusloci package is getting these 2 faces (same walltypes) as the Interior Wall Face:

This seems to happen when using the Exterior Wall Face:

Does anyone know what is going on here? Am I supposed to find the walls separately now and take different Wall Faces for each wall eventhough they are the same Walltypes? This solution will make the script not work properly on a different project unless I apply changes again.

Any way to take the Exterior Wall Face reference for real?

Thanks in advance,

Selim

Don’t have Revit or Dynamo open at the moment, but I thought Clockwork(?) had a node for Wall Layer References. I would test that node and see if you arrive at the same results.

If you do, something is up with the walls. If different results, then something is up with the node that you are using.

I think the Clockwork one did get the right layer of the walls, just can’t remember why I didn’t want to use that node. Will take a look later. The walls are normal Walltypes inside of Model Groups. Don’t think there is something up with the walls.

Clockwork has indeed a FamilyType.CompoundStructureLayers node but it doesn’t produce references.

This error appears when the walls are mirrored.

The solution is to filter the mirrored walls and exchange the exterior and interior faces.

1 Like

Ahaa… “The solution is to filter the mirrored walls and exchange the exterior and interior faces”

If the problem is with mirrored elements then Im pretty sure this is the solution indeed. Thanks a lot once again @Alban_de_Chasteigner.
Will give it a try tomorrow and tag your reply as a solution.

1 Like

I’m having a bit of trouble of finding my mirrored walls. The walls are in Model Groups and I know which one is mirrored, but for some reason I have trouble finding the mirrored group or mirrored wall element inside the group.

When using the Group.IsMirrored node from the clockwork package, I am getting null values.

When using the FamilyInstance.isMirrored node from the clockwork package, I’m getting false values eventhough I am sure I just mirrored a wall which is in a model group. (Assuming it doesn’t recognize it’s mirrored since the element is in a model group?)

Also tried Flipcontrol.Boolean (RootNodes package) which is checking for flipped elements (tried it for the model groups & elements inside the model groups, both false values):

Anything I could try to get my mirrored model groups?
Or elements of course if that is easier to find.

Hi,

Walls doesn’t have a mirrored property and have instead a Flipped property.
Use the Get Flipped Element node in the latest release of the Genius Loci package for the walls inside the model groups.

1 Like

Apparently I had an older version of the Genius Loci package, this node seems to do the job!
Thanks again @Alban_de_Chasteigner!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue when it comes to walls being flipped and picking up the wrong reference. Can anyone explain how to use to get flipped element node in order to pick the right edge reference?

Hi All

Is it possible to get the references for just the structure layers of a wall to only dimension the structure?
One way would be to move the structural elements into the wall’s core boundary. However, the way walls are built here in SA requires the brick (structure layer) outside the core, so it wraps around the cavity.

The image below shows the wall buildup as it is currently set up. The core is indicated in red.

In the image below, I have moved the structural elements into the core, allowing the structural faces to be dimensioned, but this set-up will result in incorrect wall end conditions.

@Alban_de_Chasteigner @GavinCrump

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers.

Yes I believe Genius Loci has a node for getting dimensionable wall references and their names. From there it’s just list management.

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the response. I have used those nodes, but I was just wondering if it is possible to get references for layers of a wall that function as “structure” even when they are outside a wall’s core boundary.

Hi Bayo,
You would need a Wall Function References node but I don’t know how to create it.
If you find a way on the Revit API Forum, I can probably translate the logic in a Python node.

2 Likes

It looks like the key would be this node. Sorry misunderstood initial query:

I wasn’t able to find a way to get compound structure or layer references however, not sure if it is exposed.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I found the thread below. I don’t think the references for the wall functions have been exposed in the API.

I got this response on the Revit API forum.

I see there are nodes for compound structure in the GeniusLoci package so this might not be the answer. I will give it a go soon.

Hi,

I don’t think this answer can help you. There is no relation between the CompoundStructureLayer.Function and the reference.
Maybe with the Reference.ParseFromStableRepresentation method but I don’t know what is the string representation of a reference from a layer function.

Hi Alban

Thank you.
I will have to make do with the current references in the Genius loci package until I figure out a way to access the structure references. I will post it here if I figure it out.
Thank you.

1 Like