Using dynamo to model duct and pipe from Equipment

I am new to Dynamo and not sure where to begin. I have always wanted to find a way to hit a button and have every piece of mechanical equipment selected or chosen from a menu; to draw the duct and pipe connections out to say 5’ from there current location. This would help in modeling duct and pipe and help save time. Especially when you have 100 WSHPs to connect up.

Any advice on how to start would be helpful.

Certainly not impossible but for a newcomer to Dynamo it might prove a bit challenging. I would suggest starting with easier stuff, but once you’re confident enough I would suggest you take a look at my ‘MEPover’ package, it has a few nodes for creating and connecting pipes/ducts/cable trays.

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to work on the basics and understanding. I will post an update a little later on.

Is it possible for you to share the first image you posted showing off the rest of the tree? I have downloaded your package but I am struggling to understand how to use it properly.

@kalineg if you watch the watch node 1 it is clearly shows that “Default” is a Mechanical Equipment and watch node 2 is the list of elements (Ducts,Pipes) which @T_Pover is connecting to show how it works.

Hello George,

What you see in the picture is a single air terminal and 5 pieces of pipe/duct. To be able to connect them you need to input the air terminal 5 times (once for every piece of pipe/duct).
When you have multiple terminals you could use list.Cycle to match inputs like this:

Connect into example.dyn (8.2 KB)

3 Likes

Below is a crude way to show what I am trying to accomplish. None of what you see works but it was an attempt. The DRAW DUCT DRAW PIPE node is just there for an example of what I am trying to do. I have no python skills other than slightly following already written code.

@T_Pover I played around with the file you attached and realized that the connectinto node is the opposite of what I am trying to accomplish. What I am looking for a to connectoutof node. If you have a few minutes check my post above and let me know if you think it is possible to do without a custom node. Thank you.

Hello George,

I did give it a quick go by trying to create a duct or pipe from equipment, but I can’t seem to get it to connect to each other in the same Dynamo run. So as it stands I would say it is not possible.

Thanks for your time.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Duct Connections