Toposurface center

I was reading a post on the AUGI forum for a user who wants to tag all his/her toposurfaces with their Surface and Projected Area, both parameters in the objects’ properties. I had no problem pulling the values of the toposurfaces.

Since toposurfaces cannot be tagged at all, I was thinking of placing a family instance at the centroid of each toposurface and pushing the values of the toposurface into that object, then tagging it. I’ve created a working prototype of this that worked as I expected when I limited it to one toposurface. However, when I feed in all the toposurfaces, it placed the family instance in strange places off the toposurfaces, definitely not the centroid. Can you find the problem? Can you think of a better way to do this?

I think your method of finding the topo centroid needs improvement. This would only work reliably if the topo points were dsitributed evenly across the surface - which they usually aren’t.
I would suggest the following method:

(By the way, next time you want to calculate the average of several points, there’s a node called Point.Average in package Clockwork…)

3 Likes

Thank you, Andreas. Your method for finding the centers is much better and your tip about the Point.Average node is quite helpful. I’m coming at Dynamo as a Rhino+Grasshopper user, so I’m often frustrated that I know how I’d like to do it, but don’t know the packages, even the standard Dynamo nodes, all that well.

For this definition to work, I still have some issues to work out, but this gets me to a viable version to use, which is extremely helpful. Thanks!