To extract the orientation (Vertical, Horizontal, or Incline) of the BIM objects

Hello Dear,
Have a nice day.
I am a beginner Dynamo user and I would like to extract the orientation (Vertical, Horizontal, or Incline) of the BIM objects Beam, Column, Slab, Wall, Footing, Ceiling, Door, and Window from the Revit Model.

I tried and searched for related topics but I couldn’t find them. So, someone please instruct me how to do it, thank you so much.

It is going to depend on the object. All that you listed will be different.
Windows will have a Location Point.
Beams will have a Location Curve
Floors have a level and and an offset and they could have a slope based on a edge, or a slope based on a slope line, or they could have lots of slopes based on lots of points on the slab.
I suggest you start with one category and work through that first.

1 Like

To extract orientation information, which nodes are required? Please!!!

Windows and almost all other families have a BuiltInParamter called FAMILY_ALWAYS_VERTICAL

If that is set to true - you can rest assured the Window is vertical.
If it is false, you have to look at it’s host - the Wall in most cases (but not all!). And then get the orientation of the wall. The wall could be vertical, it could be a sloped wall or it could be face based. So you would need to figure out which one it is and go from there.

There is no one magic node that is going to do this.

1 Like

…and you should read this, of course.
Revit API 2023 (revitapidocs.com)

1 Like

Beams: get the start and end point for horizontal orientation, level details for vertical orientation
Columns: Get the geometry in dynamo and check the vector direction of the edge.
Slabs and ceilings: Same as columns
Footings, door and window: mostly vertical

1 Like

Hi @nyeinthuaung …here is an exemple for slabs but the same for other elements as well…try if that could work for you…

something here probably better…

1 Like