Title Block Type Name Element

Hello Everyone,

Very new to Dynamo so this is probably a simple fix. I was following along with the video linked below in order to change the title block family type on multiple sheets from one interface. I got all the way to the last step and ran into an issue with Clockwork’s “Element.SetParameterByName” node. The video tells you to add a code block with “Type Name” and connect it to “Parameter Name”. But this throws up an error that “The parameter’s storage type is not an element”. Is this because Type Name is not really a parameter? If so, what other node should I be using to accomplish this?

YouTube Tutorial from ORI Technology: Dynamo - Change Title Blocks on Specified Sheets. [Revit 2023] - YouTube

Try Type instead of Type Name. And just for future reference, be sure you use the Export Workspace button in Dynamo to create larger screenshots. Otherwise your node titles may not be visible, like in this case.

Thanks Nick! That’s a great tip about the export workspace.

The video actually had “Type” rather than “Type Name” but it threw up an error that “no parameter found by that name”. What that all about?

You have to change the type of each particular instance and SheetTitleblock returns the FamilyType, not the FamilyInstance. You could look for another node but you might be better off just getting the title block instances directly and returning the sheet information from there.

I knew it had to be something silly like that. Thanks for your sleuthing. Could you elaborate on how to get the title block instances directly and return the sheet information (sorry to be thick)?

Just use All Elements of Category to get all TB instances. The TB automatically inherits some sheet information like Sheet Name and Sheet Number.

1 Like

@lpendergraft, to add a visual to @Nick_Boyts comment, you need to input a placed instance (or list of placed instances) into the element input of the Element.SetParameterByName node. Currently, you are inputting a Family Type.

Thanks, fellas, I really appreciate it. I’ll give that a shot.

1 Like