The search for a "perfect" boundingbox

Dear @jacob.small,

Sorry for the late response, I did some research first.
I’m not native english speaking so I find it difficult to understand your technical story. Furthermore, I don’t think like a programmer so that’s my second stumbling block. Finally, I find it difficult to understand where the boundary lies between Revit and Dynamo elements.

Dynamo makes it possible (as an end user) to automate standard tasks without programming knowledge. This is perfect.
As mentioned, one of these tasks is to make fully automated shopdrawings of our products. This process works for the most part, but I try to improve it every time. To determine the exact size of elements I now need to query the solids of each element. And given the many topics on this forum, many people try to use solids in many different ways. But this can be a heavy load for the PC with many elements. My thought was therefore that querying the boundingbox would be a much less onerous process. Unfortunately this is not possible as I would like it at the moment. Unfortunately I also don’t have the knowledge to program your suggestions by using Python. I think it has a lot in common with this topic but I wouldn’t know where to start.
So I keep hoping that in the future the boundingbox (or boundingbox+ variants of it) will have more options. Here I am thinking of a boolean option to ignore Reference Planes (this would help me a lot).
And as mentioned before the possibility to rotate with the element (non axis aligned).

For now I have chosen to include a (nested family) in my elements, with reference planes that move with the outer dimensions. I then use the intersections of these reference planes to calculate the correct dimensions.

2 Likes