The following packages use a newer version of dynamo

I’m on Dynamo 2.0.4 with Revit 2019, some/certain packages were obviously developed for later versions of Dynamo, however I can still install them and in the case of Monocle below it still (seems to) function as expected.

Is this generally an issue? I assume there may be instances where nodes just won’t work with older version and may cause issues, that aside, is it safe enough to use packages which have the warning like below anyway?

Hi @JoziB

Monocle is an ViewExtension (add-in) in dynamo. It was made with an newer version of the Dynamo API and when you try to install this via the package manager it detects this and it will give you this warning.

This doesn’t mean that it won’t work for this particuler version, but if some function causes errors this could be the reason why. For more depth on this I would advise you to direct you question toward @john_pierson (he made and manages monocle)

Hi Joelmick, I have the same message with other packages, the screengrab just so happens to be of Monocle, Datashapes and Archi-labs are the same. So far they seem to work but I don’t want to find out down the line it can cause instability or broken nodes?

Dynamo is very sensitive to versions of libraries (DLLs) used in packages. These errors are largely ignorable unless a package author is using API methods not available in your version. The only package I know if that will not work on older versions of Dynamo is TuneUp. And that is because it uses Dynamo APIs that were added in 2.5 (? I think?)

For any package I use at this time, which includes the ones you mentioned here,

they are all working on Dynamo 2.0.4 (Revit 2019) - Dynamo 2.6.1 (Revit 2021).

TLDR: Yes. The package is safe and the message can be ignored.

1 Like

Thanks John, when it comes to DLL’s, Dynamo will throw an error or just crash if there were issues?

Generally speaking, Dynamo handles the errors gracefully.

No better than Revit so!