Tagging all valves with a unique equipment tag

Hi, I am currently working on a chilled water system and my project requires me to provide a unique equipment tag to all valves in the system.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how to automate this process using Dynamo. It is a multi-storey building and the naming convention goes by FXX-CHWS/R-BV/BAV/CV-XXX where FXX represents the floor, CHWS/R represents chilled water supply/return, BV/BAV/CV represents the type of valve and XXX represents the number of the item from 001 to 999.

Any help or reference material would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Mate,

I did something very similar to what you are trying to achieve.

The overall code:

1. The first step was to isolate all valve(s) in the model. You could do something similar depending on which category your valve family is set as and/or valve name.

1. Next step was to extract the level info from the list of valves in 1 above. From this list i isolated each valve according to level as it was easier to work on level basis so as to keep the computation crashes down. In this case i was working on L13 and using a simple index node got all valves on L13.

1. Next step was to start generating the tag text (or string). Our project had a weird way of naming levels so i had to use a string split to extract just level integer.

1. Next step was to extract the system type info as in supply/return etc. since our system type had dedicated system abbreviation preloaded in our model template this was easily achieved. You can set this under your CHWS/R system type. We decided to keep the system name sequential so we isolated the system types as below. you can also achieve this via indexing.

1. next step was to build the valve tag string. In your case you require the valve type. I am unsure how your valve family type is build but if you share this info i can help you with inputting this info into the string. BAV is used as an example here.

2. Final step was to write the info back to the valve. We created a ‘comments’ parameter and wrote the info back to it. We used this info to schedule and tag all valves across the project.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Cheers,
DA

1 Like

Thanks for the very detailed step-by-step guide! I’ll be trying out this for my upcoming project :slight_smile: . Cheers!

1 Like