Structural framing notching and joining woes in Dynamo

Hi all.
Have a roof truss system progressing nicely in dynamo and just getting into more detail. I want the roof trusses to notch into another structural frame member but when I do it in dynamo it won’t join the member and the truss member is shortened. I’ve manually extended one and nothced it into the other member to what I want but I don’t want to have to manually to this to every member at every change. highlighted in blue is a standard member in dynamo and the three down is the manually adjusted one. How do I control these joins in Dynamo. Even in Revit itself it seems like a dark art to get things working with the beam join tool.

Hi @Wildtypitch ,

Have you tried a workflow like this?

1. Create a void in your Revit project just where you want to cut your trusses and then just extend it 20 cm down or so.
  2. Then intersect your trusses with this Void so the trusses get cut of by the void.

You wouldn’t even need Dynamo for that :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Daan, I don’t want to cut them I want to join them to another member which should be extremely simple but is seemingly impossible. Probably down to the fact that I’ve not spent much time working with structural framing members. There seems to be a logic I don’t understand. The fact that one side does it automatically and the other doesn’t is infuriating.