Standard nodes missing in Dynamo 1.2.1 for Revit 2015

Hi All,

We are facing a problem, in which some nodes are missing in Dynamo Library when opened through Revit 2015. In the same machine, these nodes are visible in the library when Dynamo is opened through Revit 2016 or 2017.

Can anyone please advise on how to get these nodes in Dynamo for Revit 2015. Any work around is also much appreciated.

Below image is from Dynamo(1.2.1)/Revit 2015

Below image is from Dynamo(1.2.1)/Revit 2017

Thanks

Vasu

@Vasu Should be related to Parameter API additions in Revit 2016

@Vikram_Subbaiah, Thanks for replying.

First thing, I don’t have much knowledge about API or other development terms. So please excuse, if i was wrong anywhere and didn’t understand enough.

I think your reply is related to Revit 2016. My problem is, I had created a Dynamo program through Revit 2017, which works well in both 2016&2017 Revit. But when I use that program in Revit 2015 version, I observed one node(‘Select BuiltIn Parameter Group’) missing in its Dynamo library, and couldn’t run my program. However, I am now using a similar node ‘Parameter Groups’ under Archilab package, and the program runs fine. This temporarily solves my issue.

But still some nodes are missing in Dynamo/Revit 2015. I guess, maybe, these nodes are not supported with Revit 2015. Please advise, if there is any work around to get them, or am I missing any step here.

Thanks

Vasu

I believe that the new Revit nodes added in Dynamo 1.2 were not added to the codebase for Revit 2015 as support for that Revit version in Dynamo will be dropped soon. Also, as Vikram pointed out there have been changes/additions to the Revit API related to the handling of parameters in the 2016 release - which means that some of the functionality in those nodes (apparently not the ability to query parameter groups) may not be available in the Revit 2015 API, hence no nodes.

2 Likes

Neither do I, actually :slight_smile:
Just an educated guess.

Not sure if there is a work around, but I don’t think you’re missing anything. It’s just that both Revit and Dynamo are constantly improving/changing and some features are unavailable in older versions.

1 Like

Looks like users of older version of Revit will have to stop updating Dynamo at some point because it can’t stay backwards-compatible indefinitely. It’s amazing that anything new still works in 2015.

Is there any way to clearly know what things in Dynamo won’t work in older Revit versions? My experience (using 2015) is that a node just doesn’t work when that is happening.

No workaround to get them easily. I actually screwed myself pretty bad with this recently. I was using the heck out of “FamilyInstance.ByFace”. I was prototyping in 2017 because I didn’t have 2015 installed anymore. When it came time to test in 2015, the graph had a lot of red unresolved nodes. (This made for a very long night!)

####My advice. If you need to use a Revit version older than the current or immediately previous release. Only use that version for your development and testing.

It is my understanding that the Dynamo team drops version of Revit to enable them to keep pressing forward.

If you want to utilize the nodes and the methods are allowed in the older API, your choices are:

1. Develop in python or C# referencing their code on github.

2. Hope one of the many Dynamo package developers can add it to their package.

2 Likes