Single point adaptive component on surface problem

Hi all,
So I have managed to place Adaptive Components by points however the ACs are not placed with respect to the surface.

I’m not sure if the issue is with the AC family or with the way I’ve created the points on the surfaces. Attached are the files. As you can see I may not be fully understanding which Surface UV nodes to use to generate the points.

Greatly appreciate any help/advice. Thanks

Surface ACs.dyn (23.3 KB)
SAT Form.sat (5.9 KB)
Revit Form.rfa (540 KB)

Could you upload a version where all nodes are connected as you wanted and show the error/undesirable results? Right now I’m not sure what you are trying to do exactly. Off the top of my head I think you may need a 2 or 3 point based AC so things can be oriented nicely.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I think the graph looks fine… no errors on the nodes.

AC on surface

The issue is that the (single point) adaptive component is placed in the same orientation regardless of the face of the surface. I think you’re right about the family itself it may need 2 points but my question is.

If I have a 2 point adaptive component will it place the family relative to the surface?

In general for multi-point AC deployment, you’ll need to group points into sub list. However your case may be done easily with single point. I’ll have to look at this later.

1 Like

So as far as I can understand, there are two ways out of this. One is to use multi-point AC. The single points generated in Dynamo doesn’t have the host face orientation info.
Another is that if there are only a few different orientation, you could potentially make them into types of the same component. Deploy them separately onto the faces.

For multi-point AC, you could use some list management so a point at position U1V1 is the center and the point next to it at U1V2 is a orientation reference. Even a third point at U2V1 can be added for more control.

@visualizor I think your right…

I’ve been looking around and its probably best to go the multipoint route. Essentially the second point will be offset by the same distance for each point from the normal of the surface.

I’m going to test extracting the z vector as a point and arranging the list to have the surface point and the z point.

I will let you know how I get on Thanks!

do bear in mind that two-point AC may twist along the axis defined by those two points unexpectedly. In my experience, anything with orientation in AC is done by 3 points. However I agree that the fewer points the better. It gets heavy really fast and Revit will be slowed to a crawl.

1 Like