Shared "project" parameters vs. Shared "family" parameters

Hey everyone. I was working on a script to delete all project parameters (both project and shared-project) in a revit file but soon realised that I was accidentally selecting ALL non-system parameters, completely removing shared family parameters messing up the whole file (actually in a kind of interesting cubist way).

Trying to understand something more I created an empty revit file (starting from an template) with two project parameters,one shared and one not:

I then created and placed a family which had two family parameters,one shared and one not:

I then tested this script and could not differientate shared project parameters from shared family parameters:

I tried reading on http://www.revitapidocs.com about ParameterElements and SharedParameterElements but I’m not really finding what I want.

Is there any “internal” difference between shared project params and shared family params or is it just something that I think exists because of Revit’s user interface?
Thanks

Hi @GregX

I think its because the element associated with shared parameter was deleted but the shared parameter didn’t. If its bother you why not just delete. If your looking to get shared parameter from families use Clockwork node “Element.AssociatedFamilyParameters” node to get family shared parameters.

1 Like

Hey @Kulkul thanks for the quick reply. The node you are suggesting only works in family document, while I would like to purge a revit project from all shared project parameters:

If there was a similar node that worked in the project environment I could filter the family shared parameters from all the shared parameters (project+family) but I guess it would make the script very slow.

Anyways I don’t really understand what you mean with “I think its because the element associated with shared parameter was deleted but the shared parameter didn’t”.

@GregX

Hi,
I think this is because shared parameters can be associated with catagories and families aswell, but they are different.
I would be great to see a post about the revit database.
Its structure and the difference of flat databases (like excel tables) and relational databases.
It would explain a lot. I will give it a go in a new post and ask the guru’s to correct me and elaborate on it.

add:

Marcel

This post helped me out. I guess that mixing Document.ProjectParameters and element type/SharedParameterElement noeds will filter shared project parameters from shared family parameters

Hi @Kulkul ,
thank you for sharing
I tried to do the same thing but the Elements.Delete node (Archilab) could not finish its calculation.
Are you using the archilab node? Is there another node that allows overpressure?

Thanks

Yep!

Ok thanks