Setparameter for family only adjustable in in place editor

Hi!

Im creating an adaptive component for a facade of a mass. The component is now working perfectly and I have a facade where those elements are rotated individually based on a pattern. I’ve tried to link this to Dynamo and the script is working well, however till the last step:

setparameterbyname > it mentions the error that the parameter i want to adjust is a read-only parameter. This is half true. In the project when i go to the in-place editor by pressing “Edit Mass” to adjust this parameter (picture 1) there it allows me to adjust the rotation.

But if i go out this inplace editor mode by clicking “Finish Mass” it is indeed a ‘greyed’ parameter (picture 2)

I suspect that Dynamo only runs in a normal ‘environment’ and not in the inplace editor mode. Is there a way to bypass this? Otherwise i have to manually adjust the 1000 components haha for its rotation angle

I’ve attached the dynamo file
Dynamo - Rotatie script lamellen.dyn (22.7 KB)

Thanks in advance!

Your suspicions are correct. You cannot utilize the API in a ‘model in place’ context.

If you move the mass over to a massing family it should be something you can address via parameter edits with Dynamo.

@jacob.small

So you mean create the facade inside a massing family template and load my adaptive component family there?

Yes.

If you want to utilize automation efficiently then you need to stay clear of the in place environment.