Select Model Elements node problem

I was trying to test an Autodesk sample Dynamo script (Calculate Total Length of Selected Lines), and it wouldn’t let me select lines one at a time, it only works if I use a crossing window. I tried starting a new script and added a Select Model Elements node, and it is doing the same thing. Isolating the category didn’t help, and trying to select walls, doors, etc. didn’t work either. I don’t get the selection screen in Revit (the one with the ‘Finish’ button). I also tried hitting tab about a dozen times (lol), and nothing gets added to the selection. I have tried it on Manual and Automatic mode and have the same problem.

Anybody else having this issue? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Traci

Hello,

That seems consistent with my experience using the Select Model Elements node.

An alternative may be to use the Springs Package which provides other selection methods.

Example:

Thanks, Robert - that worked really well! Do you know if there is a way to make that node an input? I want to be able to train users to run this script in Dynamo Player.

“Select Model Elements By Category” in the Data Shapes package will put you in a selection mode where you can click on several elements then hit the finish button when you’re happy with the selection.

1 Like

It works perfectly in Dynamo Player! Thank you Hamish!

Am I missing something? When I use the “Select Model Elements by Category” node it is not part of the Data Shapes package, and I don’t see a finish button anywhere. The graph just hangs during the selection process. Revit 2024 and Dynamo 2.19.3 I found a “Select Model Elements of Category” in the Data Shapes package, but it doesn’t allow itself to be an input. PS: If Autodesk is trying to brag about Dynamo capabilites, this is not a good look - especially for those who are trying it out. This could be done in Bluebeam Revu, or AutoCAD in seconds.

It can be done in Dynamo for Revit in seconds as well, you just need to learn which nodes to use - just like you had to learn how to use Bluebeam or AuroCAD before it could be done in seconds.

If you know Revit then you know there are a few ways to initiate selection - pick one, pick by bounding box, or extend selection. As Dynamo interacts with other software via the API of the host application (in this case Revit) we need to rely on what it allows - either having to hit ‘finish’ when you are done selecting or use a crossing box selection method as those are the ways which the Revit API exposes the selection actions.

As this topic is old and has a solution, if you’re struggling with a particular setup I recommend you start a new topic and include the specifics of what you are after and what you have tried so far - screenshots, animations, files, etc. will all help to ensure the community can help you find what you need.

If you’re looking to get started with Dynamo I recommend going through the primer from start to finish, as that teaches you the basics. Skip nothing as the concepts are what you are there for not the outcome. Doing so will make the intricacies between releases easier to learn and work with, as well as prep you to go over the many specific workflows which you May want to get into.

I like Dynamo and realize I have a lot to learn - although I’ve been thru the Dynamo Primer. I’m complaining more about Autodesk who includes these Dynamo Player graphs as simple “examples” and they don’t even work. The topic is old, but as far as I can see the forum solution also doesn’t work - maybe it did in the past, but it doesn’t now. So as I tried yesterday to promote Dynamo as a great tool in my workplace, it looked pretty foolish.

I can personally attest to each working, on each release of the tool and in multiple localizations (and I am not even on that development team, not am I collocates with them in my role at Autodesk). In another context though you may need another graph.

I.E.: if you need to manually select a sequence of lines instead of getting all lines in a crossing box you need to build a version which uses that selection method.