Select elements from differenet link

I am working on MEP link file, and trying to create something which would able to select element from structural link file. I managed to pick out and select the whole element from structural file but couldn’t pick out certain elements from structural link file in MEP file. Is there any way to do it?

Hello,

To find asnwers quickly, please check out our Dynamo Forum guidelines . Since it is not clear what you were able to pick and what you couldn’t, it will be hard to find a solution. Can you share what you have tried? On the other hand, check out Bimorphnodes package while working with link elements. You can select what you want according to their ID or parameter.

So I am trying to get individual beam coloumn inside a room which is name as structural framing from structural file. However, inside my MEP file when I generate my code it only able to select the whole family and pick out from structural file.

The node names are not visible. You can take the screenshot with a closer view or is it possible for you to share dynamo file?

i looks like you are selecting the entire strutural model because you are feeding it every catregory.

If you can see the category you want on the list you can use a code block like so to isolate it.

Get strucutral frame from link doc.dyn (90.5 KB)

how can I select individual element from a different link file?

Here is an option, run. and it brings up a UI to select the linked elements and press finish, the below is the result in dynamo from selecting a linked element.

2 Likes

Here is an example of how to select items from the linked instance.

1. Download Bimorphnodes package
  2. Use linked project as an input for LinkedElement.OfCategory.
  3. Define the category you want to work with. In your case it should be Model Groups.
  4. Afterwards you can work with the linked elements.

Since you want to pick the ones at the certain room, I can suggest you to run a Geometry.Intersection function between a BoundingBox obtained from the Room element and Element.Solids(from Bimorphnodes) obtained from the model groups elements or structural framing elements.

thanks! do you have example code for how to get the intersection

I dont have an example with bounding box but this might give an idea. Here I filter the elements of linked project according to the Id list that I have from the Interference Check Report. then I run Geometry.Intersection node between linked column elements and main project wall elements:

do I need to use extra code to get elements from different link? since I want to be at MEP file but access things from structural file.

You can get benefit from packages that is recommended for linked elements such as Bimorphnodes. Unfortunately, there is not enough built-in nodes that will work with linked elements. You need to use Python Script if you don’t want to use packages.