Seeking Assistance with Linear Distance Measurement between 2 points in Dynamo

Dear Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am relatively new here, and I would like to express my gratitude for your support in advance.

Currently, I am facing a challenge regarding the measurement of linear distance between two points. Despite my attempts, I am unable to arrive at a solution. To clarify my concern further, I have attached a file that provides a visual representation of the issue.

In my pursuit, I used Dynamo to measure the distance between the two points. However, it appears that Dynamo calculates the aligned distance, which does not align with my intended outcome.

I kindly request your guidance and expertise in achieving the correct measurement, considering the provided illustration. Your assistance in helping me overcome this obstacle would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards

Dynamo.dyn (16.1 KB)
Link to download Revit file :WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

You will need to make a plane facing towards the direction of the dimension you want to make in order to make a measurement like this. Two points will only be enough to do a distance between points like you have there.

If you can make a plane for one point, you could use closest distance to that plane from the other point to find the desired length.

@Jutyar.Qadir ,

i would implement a reporting Parameter, and than catching it with dynamo, when even nessercary…

grafik

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Thanks @GavinCrump that looks like a solution, but how can I make a plane in one of the point by having only one point without anything else ? Thanks

Thanks @Draxl_Andreas , unfortunately I have many many different families and every time we receive new file from client which I don’t have control of it, in my opinion parameter approach is not a solution for my case. Thanks

No need for a plane here. If you wanted the distance about the XY plane, but this is one method:

1. Make a vector from point 1 to point 2.
  2. Take the square root of the square of the X value of the vector and the square of the Y value value (the simple formula would be sqrt(v.X^2+v.Y^2), and the design script would be something like Math.SquareRoot(Math.Pow(v.X,2)+Math.Pow(v.Y,2));)

If you wanted it about another plane (say the YZ) just swap the x and y coordinates for the two coordinates you want to measure about.

And if your points are being measured in a plane which isn’t aligned to any of the cardinal planes, build a surface by lpfting from line 1 to line 2, pull the coordinate system at parameter 0,0, and transform the vector by that coordinate system. The X and Y coordinate formula should then do the trick.

Thanks @jacob.small , I would like to inquire if this approach could be applied to all three dimensions (X, Y, and Z)?, Given that transitions are present throughout the entire project in all three directions, it would be highly beneficial if a single script could accomplish this task comprehensively. Thanks

You are measuring on one plane, XY, YZ, or ZX.

The formula for any of the three can be generated by swapping the values as desired.