Same dynamo script works in my revit but not in another person's revit. Both 2022

Hi all,
I’ve tried to see if this issue has been addressed by someone else in this forum, but I haven’t found anything. If there is and I somehow missed it, then please don’t hesitate to link to the thread.

Anyway, a friend and I have been working on a dynamo script in 2022 that changes the contents in the workset parameter for MEP services. When running it in my Revit, it works (aside from a few elements not changing due to the weird “the parameter is read-only” error, while the workset of other elements of the exact same kind successfully changed, but whatever), yet when it runs in hers, no errors come up, yet it registers no changes whatsoever for the workset parameter for pipework, which is sorted by system type. Her build version is 22.0.2.392 whereas mine is 22.1.30.34.

Could it be that because she doesn’t have the latest Revit build version, it’s causing the script to not work properly for her? We can’t think of any other reason why as it’s the exact same script. Anyone else had a similar issue? TIA.

Have you both got the same Dynamo packages?

Yes, archilab, but different versions downloaded. I’d have to ask her what her version is. Could that also have an effect?

It could.

Have you opened the script while running to see where the errors are?

Yes, make sure the package versions are the same. I actually recommend using a CDE, like github.

We looked at the script after running it on her computer and no errors came up, which was strange. Normally there’s some sort of error, but not in this case.

Some custom nodes may have error handlers written in to return a fail message instead of a null. Check the results of all the nodes. That will help you pinpoint which ones are not executing correctly.

1 Like

We’ll try that for all the nodes and see where it goes wrong and will report back. Thanks!

Sorry for my ignorance, I’ve never used github before. Does it help with running dynamo scripts more smoothly? I notice that I often get glitchy results when running dynamo in revit.

GitHub is commonly used to share code, but I mostly use it to have a cloud location where our Packages are stored which everyone can then synchronize them from and as such everyone always has the same packages and versions.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip!

Update,
Turns out I made a silly mistake and fed a wrong node to a bunch of SetParameterByName nodes. Once I rectified this by adding a FilterByBoolMask node to filter out some unnecessary elements, all the errors went away and the script now runs perfectly on both mine and the other person’s Revit.

If anyone by any chance comes across a problem like this, all I can say is make sure all your nodes are connected up correctly.

1 Like