Rooms -> walltype areas (external / internal)

Hi all,
I have used dynamo for under 5 hours in total… so you could call me a noob :wink: (I have used grasshopper a lot)

I like to export a ‘list/branch’ with all rooms and the walls (types and area) that encircle the room. Is it possible? I think I’m able to get the total area, but I have no idea how to get the type and the area of each type… I have tried to search the forum and youtube but had no luck.

random output example:

RoomName, [wallType1, area], [wallType2, area]

RoomName, [wallType1, area], [wallType2, area], [wallType3, area]

RoomName, [wallType2, area]

Welcome to Dynamo! You might want to go ahead and download (in no particular order) Clockwork, Archi-Lab, Steamnodes, Bumblebee, Zebra and Rhythm from the package manager.

2015-08-06_11h55_43

Hi john

Thanks for the quick answer! :slight_smile:

I have already downloaded most of the plugins. And have tried a lot of combination, maybe including your solution.

But how do I get something like:

[retaining - 300mm concrete, 25 m2], […, 15 m2] , …

It is specific the area of each wall type for each room I’m interested in :slight_smile:

2015-08-06_13h10_25

hi,

is this the area of the complete wall or just the part of the wall that is in the room?

That would answer half my question in http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/two-different-floor-or-wallfinishes-in-a-room/

Thank you

In Revit the area reported is for a single plane of the wall as if you are looking at it in elevation.So in this case it can be looked at as what is in the room. If I drew an elevation looking at the inside face of my wall the area reported is the same as if I drew a filled region.

2015-08-06_13h22_11

Thank you,

What if the wall stretched two adjacent rooms?

Marcel

That’s where it gets a bit more complicated. It will report the total area for the whole wall. There is also the added complexity of where one finish starts and another ends. If the wall stars a couple feet above the floor it becomes difficult to use the clockwork node to find it.

I’m sure there is a good way of doing this, but I don’t know it at the moment…

Hi,

this might be helpful

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2009/01/room-and-wall-adjacency.html

I dont know how to translate this in nodes.

Marcel

Thank you so much John! just what i needed! :slight_smile:

The Element.GetParameterValueByName and Element.Name node does the trick! :slight_smile: I’ll remember those! :slight_smile:

If anybody know a way to split a wall stretching over two adjacent rooms plzz tell :slight_smile: I believe a lot of people would love that feature!!!

thinking out loud…

• split walls at curves corner points

• a way to compare the curve and the wall and create new walls from lines and type (would probably give some window problems…)

• for correct area only - a way to compare the curve and the wall and then divide the area by the fraction (curveLength/wallLengt) - for constant wall height only

Hi,

This is a part of one of the comments in the above mentioned post from the building coder. (Jeremy Tamnik)

“If for some reason that does not work, you can always go back to basics and make use of the GetRoomAtPoint method. Simply take the insertion point of the door, use a perpendicular offset vector to define points in the two adjacent rooms, and feed them into that method to determine their identities.”

A door can be a wall in this case?

And…Do we have a node for that?

Marcel

Hi everyone,

These last days I’ve been trying to get inside of a space, the part of area of a wall which is adjacent to more than one room. I’ve tried 3 different methods, however unfortunately I haven’t succed with any of them. The first approach that I tried has been to get the geometry intersection between the spaces and the interior face of the walls and afterwards trying to use the points of the intersected geometry to create a surface by using the node “Surface.ByPerimeterPoints”. However I couldn’t create any surface because the points are located in different planes.

The last attempt was based in a different principle. My idea was first to get the interior finish face of the external walls and then to divide this surfaces by the intersection with the spaces. However I couldn’t filter out the internal faces of the walls as you can see here below. http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2009/01/room-and-wall-adjacency.html . But I didn’t know how to translate this code in c# to python for being able to use it within dynamo.

I’m convinced that this workflow is possible to make it work, but there are some details that I’m missing so far.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Alejandro Mata

Hi John, i have a some similar problem. Im new whith Dynamo.

I want to export data to excel. But a have problem whith Element.getparametervaluebyname. i have benn the hold day to try to reolve but is imposible for me. Please help me

Hi,
it´s all about language! Mine is German:

Oh thank. Now its working