Room Insertion Point

Hi all,
I need to read the coordinates of the room calculation point to place a family element in this location. Does anyone know how I can do this?

You would have to get the SpatialElementCalculationPoint object from the FamilyDocument and then get its Position.

Can this be accessed in a project? I’m trying to use this but keep getting “‘FamilyInstance’ has no attribute ‘SpatialElementCalculationPoint’” error.

Did you tick this box in the Family? @crapai

This might be the issue in your case.

Why do you need it in the project? As already mentioned, it can only be setup and modified in the family environment. You can’t do anything with it in the project environment so there’s really no need to access it there.

So there is no way to get the room calculation point in a project? Just want a better way to get an elements position than it’s geometry as that can often fall into two areas.

If the element has the room calculation point you can get it through the API.

If you’re just wanting a “better” approximation for relative element locations you can just recreate this same information by offsetting location points either relative to instance orientation or target (room, space, object) direction.