Revit version used for development

Hello, pretty new to Dynamo.
We work in projects from Revit 2019 to 2023. Ideally, we need our scripts to work in all versions.
What version of Revit should I use to develop/edit scripts? Oldest like we do for families?

As long as you’re using a 2.X version of Dynamo (which is supported by all those Revit versions) you should be fine. Dynamo is largely backwards compatible. The only things you need to be aware of are changes to specific Dynamo nodes/features or Revit API methods. The former are usually not graph breaking and the latter can usually be managed via different package versions or flexible code.

2 Likes

If this is only for internal use and you are looking at custom ZeroTouch nodes, I strongly suggest using shared projects to target the exact Revit versions you support. Then you can have a build of your package for each Revit version.

Dynamo’s semantic versioning (2.x.x) only really applies to DynamoCore and does not include DynamoRevit changes or RevitAPI changes.

Technically, 2.x should work across all versions that have 2.x, but this is simply not true.

3 Likes

Related: But I made a video showing why this has become more difficult if Revit 2024 is in the mix.
Rhythm for Dynamo Availability: Question for the Community - #40 by john_pierson?

2 Likes

First up: upgrade the 2019 projects into a supported build. You are 16 MONTHS past a 48 month support span. That is a year and a third of missing security patches and efficiency gains.

For .dyn files I recommend building in the oldest, doing a save as and test each environment (Revit build and add-ins) in sequence, editing each save as version of the dyn as needed.

For Python based custom nodes and dyf files, oldest to newest as well. Same process there as dyn files.

For zero touch nodes, build from newest to oldest as John recommended, but know it’s a pain.

Lastly, if you must keep the 2020 and 2019 builds in use (1/3 of a year and 1 1/3 years past support respectively), don’t develop anything Dynamo wise for them. You’re going to get years less of efficiency gains in those builds compared to the supported builds (2024 work would have ~4 years of efficiency gains if you could deploy all of your Dynamo library now), and those older builds will have the least amount of forward working code in 2024. Lastly, by not building in 2020, you’ll encourage users to upgrade to supported builds (netting more project efficiency gains and getting everyone into a safe operating environment).

2 Likes

We consult on projects. The AoR dictates the version of Revit being used. I have four 2019 projects. One has been ongoing since 2019. One was an alteration to a project that was done in 2019. I don’t know why they didn’t upgrade the models. Not my choice.

I think @jacob.small had the information I needed. I just need to get our scripts working again. No custom nodes or ZTN.