Revit schedule to 3D view

Greetings,

I am using Revit 2019 and Dynamo 2.0.4.12684. I’m seeking advice on minimizing file size impact and confusion while exploring a specific task.

The task involves a Revit schedule with 500 mechanical equipment items spread across project levels and rooms, each assigned a unique “Equipment/Component ID.” Our client wants to precisely locate and understand these assets. To address this, I am considering generating cropped 3D views for each element. Is this achievable in Revit/Dynamo? Your insights or solutions are appreciated.

Thank you,
JW

First up: The project needs to update or you are putting everyone involved at risk, including the client. There is ZERO functional reason to be using software that far outside of the support window. If a model goes corrupt there won’t be support to recover the data, and the lack of security updates means that anyone who’s working with the files is putting their entire organization at risk of having the network compromised, including the client.

From a production standpoint, 2.0 is far enough back that some stuff recommended here might not work. You’ll have to do some experimenting to confirm (I can’t even get the software installed at this point and I work at Autodesk).

As far as automating the task: All elements in active view should get you the schedule elements easily enough. From there it’s just a matter of generating your 3d views; this node should do the trick, though you’d want to take the element’s bounding box and expand it by a given dimension to add the context.

As far as impact on the file size goes; every new view is a new view element, a new sketch plane, a new camera, a new workset, and likely a few other things I am forgetting. You’re going to add size; not much, but enough that file size will grow, the exact amount can’t really be determined until after you do the exercise.

1 Like

Jacob,
Thank you for your quick reply. Appreciate your valuable suggestion on upgrading the models etc.
i’ll try to explain myself once again on the task. i have a mechanical equipment schedule listing 500 elements approximately, what i want to know of any help if by runnding Dynamo will i be able to generate 500. 3D views automatically and number or name them based on the parameter i gave to the element as component code.
Thx.
JW

Yes, you can do this.

Thank you Jacob for quick reply.
however, i have created this and its working fine. i have a request to all, i want the view’s name based on the parameter of each element. any help?
3D Views from Categories

thx.
JW

Add an Element.SetParameterValueByName node after the create view node, using a Element.GetParameterValueByName node from the original model element to get the value.

could you sketch the loop on the pic. above, unable to make it work?
views are created but NOT named based on the Value of the 04- Equipment/Component ID parameter?

You want to get the parameter value from the element, not the view.

Then you want to set the view element’s parameter value to the result.

Nodes should be arranged differently, but these are the wires you need.

JS,
it’s working but still creating 3d views in serial number, not as per the parameter value.
what am i missing?

thx
JW

Double check the element flows.

You want to set the parameter value of the view, not the element which was used to create it.

I wanted to express my thanks for your continuous support JS. No matter how hard I try, the generated views are currently only displayed in a serial number format. To be honest, I’m not an expert and I’m learning as I go. Any further help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

HI :slight_smile:
Please show your attempt. It’s hard for us to troubleshoot if we don’t know how you implemented Jacob’s suggestion. Perhaps there is just some error in how you recreated the suggestion.

Appreciate MVE1112,
if you see “FAEX01” is a piece of Mechanical Equipment, and the 3D View should also have the same name, but see in the pic. ersults.
thx.
JW

I am wondering if this is a transaction thing @jacob.small

Creating and changing a view in the same transaction.

Oh! Good thought.

@jwilson_2019 can you post your current .dyn file and let us know what Revit build you are in?

thank you All,
I am using Revit 2019 and Dynamo 2.0.4.12684.
3d views from schedule_V3.dyn (17.7 KB)

What package is the Element.Create 3D Cropped View node from?

Note that I don’t have access to 2019 (unsupported as noted above) so I’m going to try and run this on the oldest version I can get to (2021).

Steam nodes

1 Like

Thank you All.
Here you go.
Thanks to my pal.
Note: create a view template to hide section box & to shade the view.

3d views from schedule_V3 ITTC3.dyn (18.9 KB)