Revit and Dynamo Crash

Hi all,

I am quite new to Dynamo and am having a major problem at the moment.

Regardless of what script I run, if I am trying to create Revit geometry the program crashes.

As an example, I created a simple 5m x 5m room in Revit, and I tried to create the floor using the room outline in Dynamo and as soon as I connect the last node, the mouse spinning begins… And never stops.
This happens for every single script regardless of the action.

I am using the latest build of Dynamo as well as Revit 2018.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Mitch

Can you post your graph and system specifications? A lot of crashes when I was newer were due to asking the program to actually do a lot of work than I thought, and running out of memory. Specifically when building scripts as that ram adds up (each undo and the result) has to be stored somewhere, right?)

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your reply, here is the graph. As I mentioned, according to my knowledge this is an incredibly simple operation?

I don’t know much about Dynamo, so maybe this is the completely wrong approach, but I don’t feel like my machine should be struggling with a graph like this.

And my System specs are as follow;
Operating System: Windows 10 home single language 64-bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ G2.60GHz (8CPUs), -2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Thanks again!

This is interesting. The loop is happening because you’re running the graph in Automatic mode.

The “All Elements of Category” node gets refreshed automatically every time the document changes. This might cause an infinite loop and to prevent that, Dynamo tracks all elements created in the current script (in this case the floor) and interrupts the loop when a tracked element causes a refresh.

What I assume is happening in your case, is that you create a floor, that floor redefines the spatial restraints of the room (which is an existing, non-tracked element) the change in the room causes a new “document.Changed” event to be raised, which starts a fresh loop. Since the room is not tracked, there is no way to notify Dynamo that what’s happening is an infinite loop and the script keeps running in perpetuity.

It might be a good idea to report this to the GH repository:

2 Likes