Research on dynamo

Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ?
School of Architecture

where ? ( country)
Marseille, France

since when are you using dynamo ?
Look at it since begining, but “realy” (want to) use it since 6 months

what kind of projects did you make using dynamo :
No real project for now… Just evaluate it to imagine the way to use it and teach it.

what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
Visual programming. I like the idea of visual programming, but I never really use it. I tried Grasshopper (but I’m too bad in Rhino) and NodeBox, but I never go further.

in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
(with my little experience…) Grasshopper seems to be better in mophology, designing shape, but hard to share with architectural BIM. Dynamo seems to be better for Revit exchange made for it !), but hard to modeling shape (I allways thinking Revit mass modeler is not user friendly for non ingineer)

how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?
I have to say to my students “with hand drawing, high rise building must have standard floor plan ; with BIM, it’s more easy to draw different plan for each floor ; with parametric design it’s possible to define one parametric plan to have different plan for each floor”. I think parametric (and so Dynamo) is a new way of diversity.

do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
YES !!! :wink: Not Dynamo particulary, but parametric way of thinking. I think learning digital, parametric and coding now is like to learn to read and write during last millennium, is the way to understand our world, and architect MUST understand the world.

how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
None ! I feel alone :frowning:

how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
In design, tools are limits of imagination. Thinking with standard drawing view limits the space thinking. Using computers si a way to think easily non standard shape. So new tools generate new architecture, new standards… before next step.

DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
Of course !

1 Like
  1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? Full-time freelancer @ RPBW
  2. where ? ( country) France
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? About a year ago
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference . Mostly data management to start with, slowly moving to creating geometry.
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier ) We are able to rely less on the API then before. Make it for a faster turn around
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo Why do we keep comparing them?
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? it already started
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? It could be, assuming your program is teaching Revit of crouse
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? Still very limited in France, but that you know already ;)
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? It's still just a tool, if you need a new tool to be creative... it's sad. On the other it will allow creativity to be virtually more accessible.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed Sure, just email me
1 Like

Thanks @Didier Dalbera :slight_smile: you don’t have to feel alone lol , dynamo frensh users seem to exist :smiley:

thank you @Daniel : **Comparing Grasshopper to Dynamo isn ‘t in the aim to say that one i better than the other , it’ will allow the others to understand them betteer , so when we start a project we know which one will be more effecient and help us more

*** I agree, A tool is a tool , it’s not a brain which allow us to be more creative that was not the purpose , but it’s a tool that will help us to transform our creative idea in reality and so on …

Hi,

I’m student at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Normandie (ENSAN) and I’m also working for a firm.

where ? ( country)
France.

I think it was February 2015. (recently…)

what kind of projects did you make using dynamo :
I’m doing my Diplom, trying to improve the planification of a Refugee’s Camp with Dynamic Parameters. For that, I’m using Revit’s management ability and Dynamo to control the inputs. I’ll post some result when I get something proper.

what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )
The “family system” from Revit is, to my opinion, the most interesting value this Software propose, but it’s not always easy to imagine what you can do with it. I always imagined that should be the real tool of innovation and most of us use it to do faster or more complex, the things we could already do with other programs. So, Dynamo gives an other dimension, allowing the global view on the same Workspace.

in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo
I used Rhino and Grasshoper a little bit and I would also say that Revit is the difference. It’s a BIM software working with informed objects and parameters and Dynamo allows to manage that on the global scale. It’s different from Rhino on this point, but maybe Skilled Rhino Users will come to tell me I’m wrong!

I guess it get really interesting when an Architect works with a programmer. For an Architecture project, there is always expectations such as Urban rules, functions, constructions laws etc. and we have to work with it. It can be trying to design the most beautiful/efficient/functional space we can. Dynamo allow programmation, parameter control etc. So we can even create a form AND have a programm telling us if we respect the first parameters we’ve set for it. And of course, we can change them if we think it’s not relevant anymore.
I hope it will bring other creativ processus and I also see that people share ideas here, solutions. What will happen when architects will design programms to improve the way we build, it could be a really interesting database.

do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ?
Of course, but we still learn how to draw by hand Geometry…to get the rigor! Ahah…why not learning that with CAO programms then? I wouldn’t say it’s useless, but today, “informatic rigor” is to me more important to know how to draw proper brick elevation with a pencil… But my school has an other opinion!

how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?
I know nobody here!

how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ?
We use use more and more programation in every fields. I like the way Grasshoper/Dynamo propose a graphic solution to computation. But Programmer is a Job, with a special way to process. I have the feeling that Dynamo is something else, like a bridge between thoses worlds. As architect, I can only imagine parameters and solution I would like to see for my work, and I see Dynamo like a Sandpit where I can try process and method to see if it could be done at bigger scale. Like I said, I’m not programmer.

Do you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
No poblem, happy to help.

1 Like

Thank you Baptiste !

Faculty of architecture lecturer + Freelance architect
where ? ( country)

Thailand

Around 2014
what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference .

Study DynamoBIM to find Pd.D. topic and intend to use it as tool for CAAD class.

With free education license, it is easier to teach parametric design in Revit than Rhino. Additional, most building design office in Thailand use Revit for construction design. It is easy for adaptation after graduated from university to work in design firm.

I think it is one of another tool for designer who like generative form.

Most of architecture student interesting in Parametric Design and need to learn it. DynamoBIM is a suitable for my condition but, in deliberately, I intend to teach basic coding for my student via DynamoBIM.

As I know, in Thailand, there are a few rhino-based user to use grasshopper for real building design. For DynamoBim, i didn’t see it.

It is only one of another tool for now. There are many tool for designer in the future.

Do you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed

Yes.

1 Like
  1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? A firm: B+P Architects
  2. where ? ( country) South Africa
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? Trying it out since around a year.
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference . first serious task was using it to find almost duplicate Parking (Find Duplicate Items) Most recently creating these balustrades
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier ) Some stuff are just not possible or very tedious in raw Revit, Dynamo helps with this, though previously I've done a lot of similar things through C#. Dynamo seems to be better suited for non-programmers to do a lot of the things programmers would have done for them 2nd hand.
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo Haven't used GH, so can't say much. Though from what I can see and have researched, it seems that Dyn is still a bit unpolished wrt GH.
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? By giving more non-tech-savvy designers/technicians the power to use such computation codes in their design, it should streamline some of it greatly by alleviating some of the "design-by-prototype" tedium.
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? For architecture, MEP, Struct and similar? Definitely a good idea since it would give designers yet another tool to use. As general teaching for "programming" I think there are better alternatives (even considering other Visual Programming Languages).
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? None that I know of, very few (numbered on one hand) even doing any sort of programming for any CAD/BIM systems.
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? Those using it would have a strategic advantage over those who don't, thus giving them the abilities to design quicker with less time spent on non-productive options. Thus in the long run I think it might improve the general quality of designs. Of course not everything would be "good" about such, as more rely on the tools to design "for them" they might start loosing the ability to think it through for themselves (i.e. the same that happened due to CAD in the 80s), but that's dependent on personal criteria more than the tool itself. In this way more designers with "less" talent may just be able to create designs competitive against better talented designers.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed Sure, though would have to either be electronic (email or so) or needs to be calendared to fit my schedule
1 Like

thanks thara and irneb for your answers !

Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? Firm
where ? USA
since when are you using dynamo ? December 2014
what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : Change Management Tools (think Copy/Monitor but better), Phase Visibility , 3dGrid Creation, Concrete Beam and Column Reinforcement Scheduling via Excel, Model Accuracy Checker (checking columns for small deviations from grid lines), etc…
what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? Dynamo educates you on how the API and database work in Revit. Before Dynamo, i often was very creative in using Schedules and Filters “on the fly” to select and modify certain subsets of the model. Now with Dynamo i find that i think more programmatically and i use Dynamo “on the Fly” to make quick tools that will save me 5-10 minutes in the long run.
in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo? Dynamo has open-source development, a much wider potential user-base because of easy Revit interoperability, and a better name
how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? Computational tools (not just Dynamo) are and will likely continue to change the AEC industry by democratizing access to coding tools (letting non-programmers write programs) - which will in turn lead to computers doing more and more of the boring/iterative/rule-checking parts of our jobs and leaving us free to focus on the creative, innovative, and interesting parts. What will be interesting to see is whether this plays out as better, more well thought-out buildings, or just shorter and tighter design and construction deadlines.
do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? It does not have to be included in teaching programs, but i think teaching programs are doing the students a disservice when they ignore any industry trend that will become the students reality once they enter the field. In my opinion, architectural (and to some degree engineering) education should focus less on theory and art, and focus more on the real-world issues (building codes, technology, business practices, etc)
how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? I lead a local Dynamo user group in Atlanta. we have 20+ members. I will forward them a link to this survey.
how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? See earlier question regarding Change in the AEC industry.
DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : Yes

1 Like

Thank you so much Ben For your collaboration and for answering

Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm
Presently, a one man design studio - Testing Waters

where ? ( country)
Bangalore, India

2012-13

what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference .
Design research and Competition entries mostly.
Swedavia Airport Innovation Challenge
Guggenheim Helsinki or on the (Competition Website)
Bamiyan Cultural Center

Dynamo/Design Script, makes design programming/scripting accessible to designers . These possibilities, were probably available earlier too, on different platforms. But, for me, it was Dynamo/Design Script that opened the door to that world.

Personally, as of today - Design Script.
I might have had a different reason a year ago :slight_smile:

It might help lower the entry barrier to computational design. In the process it will help to seamlessly integrate available data (from various sources) into the design process.

Strongly believe it should, maybe even as an alternative to the pencil :-).

None that I know of. I’ve provided a link to my website above (Testing Waters)

Speaking as an architect - I’m able to explore different approaches to design regularly. I don’t always succeed, but it keeps me enthused.

Maybe, Dynamo is just a stepping stone, or, it probably is the ultimate tool in the making. In any case, it is one of the ways forward.

DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed
Sure. Lately, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands - my Dynamo obsession is partly to blame :slight_smile:

Regards,
Vikram Subbaiah

1 Like
  1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? PhD researcher (ULB/VUB)
  2. where ? ( country) Belgium
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? I discovered it 2 years ago but was not using it on a daily basis.
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference. I used it for my master's thesis (research on combination of parametric design and BIM) but also for the design associated with it. Currently, I am using it for my PhD to catch, link information from one part of the model to another.
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier ) Link parameters or part of the projects automatically, quick feedback, ability to use Revit not only as a representation (data or 3d) but as a design tool.
  6. in your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo? With grasshopper you are mainly playing with geometry or data that is not "understood" by the software you are using. In dynamo, you are able to drive geometry but also information and not only list of numbers and so on. You can really use it to manage meaningful information.
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? I hope it will help designers to take better informed decisions. In my opinion, dynamo is a tool allowing the designer to free himself from repetitive tasks but also providing him useful information. In my opinion, designers could be able to focus more on scenarios, decisions and concept. It is also an opportunity for the user to adapt the tools according to his needs and not being enslaved by the tools he is using.
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? I think dynamo or grasshopper or any other visual programming tool is quite important for designers. Learning that is more than just learning a tool, it is also learning how to solve problems or decompose them in smaller ones.
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? Not a lot of information, I am more involved in the educational world.
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? I see more and more people involved and providing useful tools to other, I see more collaboration and maybe inspiration from other designers directly through dynamo scripts.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : answering further questions if needed. Yes
1 Like

In a firm

Where ? ( country)

Living in Belgium, working for BeNeLux, UK/Ireland, Scandinavia

Since when are you using dynamo ?

December 2014

What kind of projects did you make using Dynamo : it would be awesome if you accept to put a link or further informations about your project so i can put it (after your permission of course) as an example and a reference .

Mainly in solving structural and bridge engineering problems (https://revitbeyondbim.wordpress.com/category/dynamo/dynamoite-your-design/)

What are the differences that you find after working with Dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? (how did it make your work easier )

Helped automating tasks, iterate through more design options, generating complex geometries.

In your opinion : what is the biggest difference(s) between grasshopper and dynamo

Dynamo can for sure cover the design process from concept to fabrication.

How do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ?

It will help to build more economic structures

Yes. That way its adoption in companies can be assured at long term.

How many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ?

No idea.

Lower threshold to pass to computational design, genetic algorithms, 3d printing

Yes, sure.

1 Like
  1. Are you working as a freelancer or in a firm ? FIRM, architect studio
  2. where ? ( country) Taiwan
  3. since when are you using dynamo ? Early this year.
  4. what kind of projects did you make using dynamo : Actually we doesn't put molding function in any case yet, but we use on some small item that Revit can't achieve now, like auto parking space number.
  5. what are the differences that you find after working with dynamo and that you didn’t find before ? As I said, Dynamo solved some parameter problem that Revit can't solve right now.
  6. in your opinion : I never use Grasshopper before, sorry.
  7. how do you think that dynamo will change the world of architecture and design ? I think parameter design already change the architectural design process in this world, and in my opinion, dynamo is more easily to connect parameter and BIM, it may help parameter design become a part of BIM(or you can say only "revit bim") process more convenience and powerful.
  8. do you think that dynamo has to be more included in the teaching programs ? and why ? Well, I dont think that a "software" has to included, I think the most important is parameter or programing sense for students.
  9. how many firm / people ( in your region, or country ) , you know, who are working with dynamo ? Can you give information about them or links to their website ? I don't think there have more than 20 people use Dynamo in Taiwan. however, I think it will increase whit people have more requirement of BIM with parameter design.
  10. how do you see the future of architecture ,design or any other field with the use of Dynamo ? I think Dynamo will push the process of BIM.
  11. DO you accept to collaborate with us ( research center Maac of Paris lavillette ) : sure
1 Like

Thank you so much ! :slight_smile: Please invite your friends or people who use Dynamo , even beginners ! Thank you

1 Like

Soumaya mizouri,Please can you tell me which university you are working with.What kind of research you are doing with collecting all the data which contains info about everyone using dynamo.Are you working on any social engineering project.

Thanks for you I have a list of professionals and Companies which use dynamo and their locations.Thank you very much.

Hi Soumaya,

I was wondering if you could share your completed academic research paper?

I am just beginning to do research into dynamo myself for my masters and it would be good to see how other people have gone about it.

Thanks, Simon

1 Like

wow!! it’s a really good one for history.