Replicate Hexagonal Pattern for Facade

Hey everyone,

I have a task that I need to replicate which I am sure is considered basic, but any help on it and the process used would be much appreciated.

I need to reproduce the pattern below for an awning. From what I can see it is essentially the same 5 or 6 shapes replicated over a plane. So how should I approach this? I have had a few attempts, but I am new to this and I think I need the correct starting point. I already have the surface modeled in Revit as a generic roof that I want to apply the pattern to.

I am hoping to learn from reverse engineering the scripts once I know where and how it was started.

There are a few things I need to do with this exercise

1. Create the pattern shown
  2. Use this pattern and apply an adaptive family (for example timber battens at 159x50) where the lines occur? Or does the structure (generic roof) supply this part?
  3. Fill in the surface between with a material (Glass)

Again, as always, any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance

That looks like a voronoi pattern.

If you search for this term on the forum, you will find a few posts, and I believe there are some example files

Andrew

Thanks for your reply Andrew

I had a look at these but they don’t seem to have the output I am chasing. I need to finish up with all shapes being hexagons, although I do see some heptagons in the images I am trying to replicate

Hi Adam

Also pentagons

Some of the geometry gurus on this forum like @Thomas_Mahon might be able to help, but I am not sure if you can create this kind of irregular/regular pattern with hexagons- they would have to be all the same shape to fit together

Andrew

Andrew

I’m starting to come to that realization. Although I have searched ‘irregular hexagons’ and had some success in finding the right pattern (see image). Ultimately it looks like a voronoi node is to be used however.

OK, seems like this is more of a task than I originally thought. Looks like the facade is made up of 8 different shapes that is grouped and repeated. Any thoughts on how I accomplish this?

Hello,
Similar topics have already been covered. I think you will need to send your first attempts in order to get some help. You will find resources to get started in the forum as well as elsewhere. See these for instance:
http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/tessellation-on-face/

Yna_Db, thanks for your reply.

I may need to edit my first post as I now believe the voronoi approach is incorrect. I think what I have here is set patterns (8 different shapes) replicated over a surface. I may need to draw these patterns first using points and polylines then replicate these over a selected surface. I’m really not sure. Maybe this isn’t a ‘solve with dynamo’ issue, although I think its a good exercise for me to learn with if anyone else has any other input.

This could be a way indeed. Once you’ve got your line pattern, you could use Structural Framing, like so:

Hi @adam
Without getting too precise I got this result:

This is a rhomboid pattern in a Revit divided surface. And this is the panel family:

This shape is a fake (or if you prefer rationalized) voronoi.
It’s basically a seamless texture.

3 Likes

viktor_kuzev

Yeah that’s it. Looks like that’s my task. Trust me to post a dynamo question with a non dynamo answer. That’s typical of me.

Thanks again for your help

Well, you could definitely create a rhomboid pattern in Dynamo and use it for the placement of either adaptive or standard Revit families.

1 Like