Replacing a number of selected elements with another family type keeping original dimensions

Hello
I am new in using dynamo, only couple of weeks.
I am trying to read dimensions parameters of a number of selected elements with different dimensions, change them to another type while keeping the dimensions of their original type.
I have succeeded in doing that with only one family selected but I can not make it to work for multiple selections that is because when changing to the new family it must of course have similar parameters. How can I separate them and make them to keep their original dimensions?
Thanks

1 Like

hello
Thanks alot for the reply
however, this is different from what I am trying to achieve
in this post he is reading a parameter and change the family if the parameter has a value
what I am trying to do is to replace a number of selected elements that have different dimensions with another family type and keep their original dimensions. It means that I need something that creates kind of an array or loop, I do not know exactly how to call it, which duplicate the family create new names for each one of them and read the corresponding dimensions

Springs has a node to duplicate elements, and there should be no problem with the extraction and setting of parameters from the original type. Archi-Lab and Clockworks also have nodes to change family type.

changing the family type can be done with the nodes already in the program, the problem is creating the link which keeps the original dimensions
I will try to search for the duplicate element node from springs
Thanks again :slight_smile:

@Yna_Db is this node available for download? I could not find downloadable files

Yes, sure, from the Packages menu, Search for a Package, spring nodes

Thanks a lot this actually worked :slight_smile:

Hello Dalia,

Could you plz tell me how did you do it, there are lot of Spring nodes so I don’t know witch use.

Thanks

Hello
I used the spring node
Springs.ElementType.Duplicate

@Dalia
Hello. I want to replace a number of selected elements by another family with instance parameters and keep their original dimensions without creating a different types of the family. do you know how to do it?
thx

Hello @vlad_melnik in the first image i was intending to change a family type, that is why I had to use the nodes that get the family type of the selected elements to change the parameter. changing an instance parameter will be easier you can use the same nodes from the first image and remove the family.name and family type by name nodes and connect the element directly to the set parameter and get parameter nodes

@vlad_melnik

1 Like