Rename sharedParameter in Revit, even possible?

Hello,

is it even possible to rename shared Parameters. I know i can edit the string part in the .txt
Can i do it also in Revit?

Or is the workflow create 110 new shared parameters and delete the old ones!?
I also want to maintain properties like type, categories, groups,… of each parameter

KR

Andreas

2022-01-26_15h16_05

I don’t know a simple way of setting/renaming shared parameters without replacing them. Where I use to work we had to change the shared parameters name from the drawings we got from our India group. something as simple as a space would throw off the release of the project. I used the following video form the Aussie BIM Guru to make a script that you can “replace”, just change the name, of all 16 shared parameters and still keep all of the attached data. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Does it also work for Projects

finally i can delete all my shared Parameters in the project

No, project parameters cannot be replaced. Once they are added to a project it never forgets its GUID.

There are some messy workarounds but they always lead to problematic outcomes due to the GUID being remembered.

My workflow/video only works for loadable families.

4 Likes

So the only workflow is delete them all and create them new?

Can i do that with a passthrough methode?

Actually the parameters are not yet in use! so i could delete them! and rename (prefix_add) the .txt and reload them?

KR

Andreas

I usually recommend making new parameters with a new guid - bad practice to rename in the txt file as they would clash with old parameters.

When i run this workflow I usually add the new ones, use a bit of dynamo and some manual work to move data over and finally delete them.

1 Like