Recycling a revit model - changing completed new construction work to be current existing conditions

Hi, I am wondering what is the best practice for converting a Revit model from a previous project (has existing conditions, demo & new work) to be a model for a new project in the same building, where all of that new work is now current existing conditions. (We did a renovation project in this building already and now have another project in the same building) I’ve been playing around with showing only demo - deleting those, then mass selecting everything in new construction and setting their Phase Created as New Construction but am thrown quite a lot of errors and deleted elements.

Am hoping there is a way that I am unaware of that Revit will just sort of accept all the New Construction work as the now current Existing Conditions and eliminate the elements related to the demo work. I’m thinking Dynamo might be the best way to do this without causing a lot of errors in the project but the few ways I tried still threw a lot of errors at me after running.

(apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere but every which way I tried to search for the answer just brought me to how to start a new Revit project in general, cross posted on revitcity and revitforum in case there is a perfectly good way to do this without Dynamo)

Thanks in advance for any direction!

Hi @awilliams

Have you tried making a new phase?
Phase is the moment in time you look at the model.

Marcel

Ah, if I am understanding your suggestion correctly, I have done this before… This will be the third renovation project using this model and the second one I actually did use a new phase to differ between the updated existing conditions and the new work being done for that project. However the model has gotten quite heavy and bogged down so it’d be best if I was able to just get all of the work that has actually been completed to be the Existing Conditions of the model.

@awilliams

Yes. Create the new phase as being the last in time.
Existing is relative for the moment in time you set by changing Phase for your views.
“Existing” will shift -in time- with it.
Think of it this way: Phase has a name, but it should have a date instead.
And you are looking back in time by setting the date.

Marcel

Thank you Marcel. I understand phasing. My point is that I want to eliminate all of the data/geometry that has since been demolished by compressing all of the work already done to be just Existing Conditions since the model is quite large.

Removing demo’d elements:

1. select all elements using your desired method.
  2. Get phase demo’d for all elements.
  3. Filter out elements which have a null, -1,or none value. Those haven’t been demo’d yet.
  4. Delete the elements still in the set.

This might have issues as some things need to have been demo’d, like that chunk of wall where you put in a opening. Or the door that you replaced. Or the curtain panel that became a door. Or, well you get the idea…

Might be better off starting a new model with three phases:
An ‘original conditions’ phase, containing only work you weren’t responsible for.
A ‘previous interventions’ phase with all work you have performed over the length of your involvement.
A ‘new work’ phase.

Reference the old model into the new model, and set up the phase mapping to reflect the phases listed above. Bind the referenced model into the project. I believe this recreates the elements on the new phase. Could possibly be automated via Dynamo but idk how, and this feels like something I would want to review in mass.

That said a good workshare methodology and you are using good modeling practices will likely have better performance gains. I would time cleaning the rest of the model and possibly removing heavy elements (disable all ‘analytical’ aspects unless you’re going to use them, delete unused material assets, replace zero area curtain panels with system panels, and if the project was big enough moving all furniture and casework to a linked model…) prior to considering this as you will never get it back right.