Rectangular Voronoi?

Hi there… new to Dynamo and have never explored voronois before. I’m curious if it you all think it would be possible to create a voronoi with rectangles instead of polygonal shapes. On top of that, if it’s possible to specify the areas of the rectangles? I’ve read through some of the posts on voronois and did not see anything similar. I’ll be exploring how to work with the voronoi node, but figured I’d ask if this is even possible before we go down that rabbit hole!

Voronoi tessellation is very specific.
It is possible to make an algorithm that will partition given surface in a different manner. The questions are why and how. Surely, it won’t be called voronoi diagram. I think you should broaden you research to tessellation (or look for tessellation algorithms).

Thank you, Tomasz. I will look into that. Our goal is to represent department masses on a designated rectangular floor plan to show percentages of department areas in a way that “fits” on the floor plan. This would be a visual to see the size of departments on the plan and less about adjacencies.

In our current state, we have this represented in two ways:

1. Department masses laid out in a grid, but there are spaces between them and not representative of the total size of the floor area
  2. Department masses represented as long, skinny masses within a rectangular floor plan. They are like long “stripes” of departments, all with an equal length and their width representing the percentage of area on the floor plan. This is close, but the stripes are somewhat distracting for thinking of this as a floor plan and not just a bar graph.

Hopefully I have explained that clearly. Thoughts?

How close is this diagram to correct dimensions? I think that this might over complicating things.
Here is how WinDirStats represents size taken by folders and files on a harddrive. Is this what you are looking for?

2 Likes

Yes, I think this would be perfect, as long as we can determine the overall size of the rectangle that these all fit in. Do you think this would be pretty difficult to achieve?

I reccomend you look into the space layout package as I believe it has a toolset to accomplish this in a few different ways.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jacob. Thought I had responded to this earlier. I have been experimenting with the Space Layout Package and it is very promising. Still working on getting it to do what we need, but so far it has been extremely helpful. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

For others reading this post - reference this continued discussion here

JacobSmall - any idea if there is documentation for this package?

Or, is there anyone out there that can help troubleshoot?

1 Like

I may know a guy…

I’ll see what I can dig up.

Check the extras folder for the package. :smile:

Ah, I didn’t know extras in the install folder even existed - thanks again, Jacob!