RayBounce to Find Ceilings in Rooms - Fails Sometimes

Hopefully, I have this included enough detail to describe the issue.

OK… I have uploaded an image, the Dynamo Graph and the Model File (2018 version) I used to develop the graph. The issue is that the Graph works consistently in the attached rvt file. But in some cases on a real model it fails to find the Ceilings. I am wondering how I can trouble shoot this to find out why and fix it?
One obvious one is that the 3d View needed by the RayBounce isn’t set to the default 3d View… but it still fails even if the 3d view is there and set in the Views Node.

Perhaps the gurus on this wonderful forum could point out what I might check for or am doing wrong.

NOTE: I need some further development to finish up and automate adding the appropriate Room Tag Type based on a couple conditions. Right now, if there is no Ceiling Object found the graph sets the Ceiling Elevation to 0’-0". But this issue with some models is that somehow the Ceilings are not found even though I confirmed they are there.
NOTE ALSO… that I have Key Schedules that drive the Ceiling Types and Floor Types.

DynamoRoomTagTypePropertiesVisibility.rvt (3.7 MB)

Set_Room_Properties_For_TWC_Tags_Rev_2.dyn (62.1 KB)

1 Like

Think I would need a model which fails to find the reason here, but I would guess you want to subtract a safe distance below each ceiling as points aligned closely with a planar style ceiling, or a ceiling with odd deformations or slants or similar may not catch the ceiling elements and project past the ceiling in question.

An alternative would be to use 3D room bounding, and get the bounding box’s height for the elements, or the highest or lowest ceiling elevation of the rooms bounding elements.

1 Like

Also, try isolating the Ceilings category in the view that you use for RayBounce - there may be hosted elements in the way.

Thanks Jacob and Andreas, both good points… I intend on doing both of these.

Aside from implementing your suggestions, I think part of the issue is this Filter By Boolean Mask appears to be inconsistent in filtering out ALL but Ceilings.

Please look at the nodes in the Red Square.

(of note though the RayBounce is finding things in the road, Diffuses for one. I do want it to find Floors and Roofs which is also getting included - this will be used to determine if Ceiling Type is Open to Structure)

Can’t seem to get isolate Ceilings category to work… been on it for several hours now working with several nodes.
I was hoping to creating a 3D View for the purpose with AxonometricView.ByEyePointTargetAndElement which to use, but failed. Although there was a couple times when I thought I had something.
I’ve tried Clockwork Isolate in View and Clockwork Permanently Isolate Category

What am I missing?